Waterproof IPX8 Certified Phone Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Falconer7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone tested one of these cases that claim to go underwater up to 30 meters? If so how did it hold up? Were you able to get reception and text messages? It would be awesome to receive text messages from someone on the boat in case of an emergency and if you have a Personal Location Beacon you could carry that underwater incase of an emergency too if the boat leaves you e.g., in other country dives.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW2QT8I...lid=3178TUJ0GKVHX&coliid=I1ZRKD4VCDWVZ3&psc=1

My understanding is that cell phone reception underwater is.very very weak so you would not be able to get text messages most likely. It would be cool to see if it works for the price!

Hmm then I'll try my Delorme Inreach PLB and see if it will get a satellite signal and let me send or receive texts

believe it or not, it can be pretty darn noisy underwater. you might be hard pressed to hear a ding, or feel a vibration.

last thing i would want to do is get a text underwater. lucky me, no cell phone for the last 4+ years...gonna be strange to join the masses of drones staring emptily into a silly color screen box.

I usually carry my cell phone more or less everywhere, but there's a few situations when I definitely don't want anyone to be able to reach me on my phone (unless it's an emergency at the level of my wife (or kids) dying, and I being the only one who can save her/them).

Below water on SCUBA is pretty high on that list.

I think taking a Personal Location Beacon 30 meter or less diving with you in that dive bag along with taking a whistle, strobe light and sausage would be a good safety idea.

I wonder if you could stream Netflix at 30m? Not much else to do or see on a dive .... :wink:

I haven't tried exactly this one, but I tried several of these dry pockets out of curiosity. I placed paper in them and ALL of them flooded, the paper was always wet. They are not meant for scuba. I don't believe in their "certifications". Only the dry boxes don't flood, but they are buoyant, bulky, and you can't use anything what's inside them while under water. Unless you make some custom case for your phone like they do for the cameras.

I haven't tried exactly this one, but I tried several of these dry pockets out of curiosity. I placed paper in them and ALL of them flooded, the paper was always wet. They are not meant for scuba. I don't believe in their "certifications". Only the dry boxes don't flood, but they are buoyant, bulky, and you can't use anything what's inside them while under water. Unless you make some custom case for your phone like they do for the cameras.

I've seen the reviews for the others and a lot of people say they leak but this one I found has a lot of good reviews of not leaking and in one of the reviews a guy said he went scuba and it worked. So there may be hope!

I've seen the reviews for the others and a lot of people say they leak but this one I found has a lot of good reviews of not leaking and in one of the reviews a guy said he went scuba and it worked. So there may be hope!

I just ordered it. I'll give it a try. Maybe next week. I'll post here how it went

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom