"Warm water backplate" with a "cold water wing" a bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a DeepSeaSupply bp/w, with a 6# SS backplate and a 40# wing that I use for New England cold water diving. Once a year I dive the Caribbean for a week. I take my Seaquest Pacifica jacket BC. It's a serviceable BC, but very basic, and lacks some of the niceties, like d-rings. I contemplated taking my bp/w, but didn't want the added 6# in my checked luggage.

I don't travel enough to spend the money on a full "travel" bp/w, but thought about getting an aluminum "travel" backplate. The obvious problem would be a way oversized wing. Other than it flopping around all the time from being under-inflated, are there any other reasons not to do it?

While not optimal, I see no reason to drop the coin on a "travel BP/W" unless you really want to. The wing may "taco" a bit and the SS backplate may make you slightly overweighted, but that's all I can surmise. On the flip side travel BP/W set ups can be had for an affordable price.

Reactions: gbf
First I have a buddy that dives a 40lbs singles wing all the time, no problem (I assume you mean a singles wing). And as for traveling with a SS BP, saw the coolest idea guy strapped his travel backpack to his SS Back plate and used the harness as backpack harness. I thought that was cool. Or an Alum bp.

Only "problem" with it is the wing is "too big" for tropical diving. If you were buying a wing dedicated to travel, I'd suggest you buy a smaller wing. However, there's certainly nothing wrong with diving a 40# wing in the tropics....it's just sub-optimal.

Honestly, I think people put far too much care into sizing wings. Doubles wings on a singles tank is a bad idea due to the width issue, but you'll be fine with the wing on an alu plate in the Caribbean.

I use an LCD40 for my singles wing because I got it for a ridiculously good price. This was a change from a Zeagle Ranger to a BP/W, and certainly the LCD40 is way more streamlined than the Zeagle wing. If I happen upon a great deal on a LCD30 then I might change but for now it works just fine, and I certainly don't dive cold water. I do have a kydex plate that I have used for doubles and plan to use for travel to lighten the luggage, and plan to use the wing I have with it.

I once had a 17lb DSS wing for warm water, but after once vacation, I gave it to my consin in HK since he dives a lot more in those water condition. I now use a 30lb Eclipse for all single tank diving. I think it is already very streamline. I can't justify spending on a 17lb wing for once a year kind of usage.

To me, I think the more important factor is the plate. I bring AL plate for warm water diving because I need to add weight trim pocket to counter my leg heavy in wetsuit issue.

I currently have a DeepSeaSupply bp/w, with a 6# SS backplate and a 40# wing that I use for New England cold water diving. Once a year I dive the Caribbean for a week. I take my Seaquest Pacifica jacket BC. It's a serviceable BC, but very basic, and lacks some of the niceties, like d-rings. I contemplated taking my bp/w, but didn't want the added 6# in my checked luggage.

Not to be overly simplistic here but why not just add "D" rings to the BC you normally take. If you're just missing "D" rings on your existing BC, probably with a little effort (a sewing awl) and a couple of bucks for "D" rings and some webbing, can't you add them to your existing BC? Just add them while watching the tube some evening.

If there's another reason, you're taking the BP rather than the lighter BC, then disregard the above comment.

Jim

I would just dive with what you have. There should be no reason to be overweighted unless you are on the lighter side as far as body type. I weight 220. I dive salt water with 14 lbs and either no wetsuit or a skin type top and a bathing suit. My OMS Cold Diving (Northeast Quarry diving) Stainless Steel BP & Wing plus SS Single Tank Adapter weight close to 9 bls combined. So if I were to take it I would still need roughly 5 lbs. How much do you weigh? Are you diving a wetsuit? how thick? Either way I think you could easily get away with using what you have.

G

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've seen here that the prime combo for most divers doing warm water with AL 80 tanks (like at a resort) is a steel BP/W combo. The 5-6 pounds is weight that doesn't go on your belt, toss in a smaller wing (ie DRIS's one that will be in stock at the end of the month) and you're pretty much good to go.

How much weight do you normally wear when down in the warm water? The BP/W will take off 6 or so, plus now you're not fighting the natural bouyancy of the vest BCD.

Might rethink on that one, steel SHOULD be your friend, unless you're one of those lean, muscled and dense individuals that just sink like a rock with empty 80's on your back. :)

Steve

Depends on the wing. If it's an LCD then I don't see a problem ... while not optimal for warm water, the wing's narrow enough that taco'ing is going to be minimal.

I travel with my Torus 35 all the time. The biggest drawback is that it's a bit bulkier than a lot of commercially available travel wings ... but it's perfectly functional in the tropics.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom