Ditching the Splits: What now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BBeall

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to posting here although I've been a pretty avid reader of this forum for about a year.

So, when I first got OW certified I was told that atomic splits were "undoubtedly the best fins on the market with no stress on your joints and calves." Of course, not knowing any better, I believed the LDS owner and bought them on the spot. Fast forward four years later and I'm tired of flutter kicking my way through every dive environment. Don't get me wrong, my atomic splits are fast with a flutter kick, but that's about it. Here is a list of the main issues I have with them:

1. Frog kicking is inefficient.

2. They are extremely long (I have the XL, probably could go with a large) and therefore ill equipped for my intentions to take a cavern course in the near future.

3. They are HEAVY. Heavier than the Jets at 6.3 pounds. This is causing my feet to sink fairly badly. I can correct my trim through bending my knees, proper breathing, etc. but I find myself on every dive thinking I could have better trim than this with a lighter fin.

Given this list, I've put together a short list of new fins I'm considering (all of these with spring straps):

1. Hollis F1's

2. Hollis F2's

3. Scubapro Jet fins

4. Scubapro Gorilla Sea Wing

5. Pro force fins

What I'm really looking for is a good all around fin that's going to do well in offshore FL currents and in overhead environments. I need something that has more maneuverability. Also, I'm looking for something that's a bit lighter than my 6.3 atomics.

Can anyone give me their personal take on any of these? What environments do you use them in? If there's a particular one you religiously prefer, what makes it stand out from the others?

Thanks to anyone who has the time to help!

Not on your list but I absolutely love my Maris (sp?) Power Plana fins. AFAIK, they come in a "cold water" (which I have) and a "warm water" (which I've tested) type with the cold water being rubber and negative and the warm water being plastic and positive.

I have the hollis f1s. Great fins, but I would avoid them if weight is a concern. They are very heavy and very negative in the water. I switched to sidemount and I now have to give them up.

One fin not on your list that should be is the Dive Rite XT fins. Stiff/snappy paddle fins. Great for all kicks, great for sidemount because they are a lot less negative in the water.

SP Jets are nice but also very negative. An alternative would be OMS slipstreams. Similar shape and profile, but the material is near neutral in the water.

I would also avoid the gorillas. They are also long and designed more for flutter kicks.

Hollis F2's - haven't tried them but not too favorably reviewed from what I have seen.

I think OMS slip streams or dive rite xts for you.

Something else to think about. Are you diving single tank or double right now? Will you dive double as you move into cavern/cave? Will you dive Back Mounted double or sidemounted double? Will you dive a drysuit?

With back mounted double and drysuit you may actually want heavier fins like the SP jets of Hollis f1. With back mounted doubles you will hav eth ebouyancy of another tank on your back as well as the manifold and the additional first stage near your head. With a drysuit you will have some small amount of air up in your feet. These combined can give a head down attitude so a heavier fin can balance this out nicely.
If you go sidemount then the tanks and first stages will be further down your body. In this situation it may cause you to be more feet heavy. This is where lighter fins will be preferable. This is the situation I am in now. I bought my f1s because I needed a heavier fin with my drysuit and backmounted tanks. Now that I am diving sidemount I need a lighter fin, or I have to put trim weights on my shoulders to balance out. Currently I am diving my wetsuit fins which are very nice. Mares Avanti Quattro Plus, but they aren't as stiff as you may like for technical style diving and they are long, so I didn't recommend them to you. I will be buying the Dive Rite XT fins.

If stress on body parts is still a concern, I'd vote for Force Fins. The huge open toe effect cuts way down on that.
If at all possible, try fins in the water to see. Especially if moving from splits to blades/paddles.
The only kick I haven't been able to do well in Force Fins is a back kick. All others, I can do better with my Force Fins than with my various paddles.

Your first four are heavy and negative. If you are looking for a lighter paddle fin with enough stiffness for precise positioning, the Dive Rite EXPs are great. I would not recommend the Gorillas . . . I bought a pair to use with students, and sold them four dives later, because they were truly stiff as boards. The little wing tabs on them don't help with frog kicking, either.

I dive with Hollis F1s and they are also long and negative.
The pocket fit my foot better than the jets, but they are as heavy and as negative as the jets.
Like you, my feet and my legs are the most negative part of my body and without bending my knees my feet will most likely take me out of trim.

All my weight is on my tank and I wear my backplate as high as I can comfortably tolerate. I also use thick 5 or 7mm neoprene boots to try to make my feet less negative. YMMV!

I've chosen to accept that my trim will not be correct without me "working" to keep my knees bent and feet up. Let me know if you find lighter fins that fit the bill and are stiff enough to do what you want.

I have to check those Power Plana fins one of these days.

Not on your list but I absolutely love my Maris (sp?) Power Plana fins. AFAIK, they come in a "cold water" (which I have) and a "warm water" (which I've tested) type with the cold water being rubber and negative and the warm water being plastic and positive.

I like a lot the Power Plana but they are negative.The positive you mean the old model or they did a new one? Can you give a link?

Another fin to consider: ScubaPro Gorilla
Probably one of the lightest fins with a very powerful thrust.

+1 for the Mares Plana Avanti or Avanti Quattro (which I own and purchased used for $25).

Fins are very personal to every diver. If you can do a test drive with a pair before you buy, you should. Fins have their own personalities. Getting the right pair is really worth the effort... kinda like finding the right downhill ski. Once you find it, another piece of gear gets locked in.

I don't think you are going to find one set of fins that will work well in every type of diving you do. You mention two totally different types of diving conditions. I have about 4 or 5 different sets of fins I use for different dive environments. The debate about splits vs. paddle vs. whatever has been beat to death on this forum I own both types and they both work fine depending on what diving I'm doing at the time so truly look at the type of diving you do and hone in on a fin that works best for you and you may find out you need more than one pair. Don't throw away the spilts just put them up because you may find a use for them. "I don't mean a dart board" I can hear the comments coming!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom