Novice boat dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brianna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm diving this coming weekend at Tobermory as part of my AOW certification. What do I need to know? I'm very lucky that I will be diving with an awesome instructor so I'm sure the diving part will be ok, I'm just unsure on the rest. I'm doing 4 dives Saturday and 2 Sunday, I'm guessing I'll need to bring food and water with me. Any suggestions on good food to bring? What should I bring to keep warm between dives? All tips are appreciated! This is only my 12th dive ever, including certification dives. Pretend you're giving advice to somebody who's never done a boat dive before :) (I did once before, in Key Largo, but I was pretty sea sick and I didn't retain much. I plan on taking dramamine this time :wink:)

I bring a sandwich and a coke, but cola is not recommended--I am a cola addict. Bring water. Bring a "dry" bag and ask where the dry area on board is. If you are diving wet, the recommendation is to bring clothing to wear between dives after you peel down/off the top part. Enough said if diving dry. Weather there this time of year shouldn't be too cold, I would guess (haven't been around there lately). Keep your gear neatly around you on the boat. I think one of our instructors, Eric, may be going there--say hello if you see him.... Enjoy.

Oh-- When I was starting out it seemed others were rushing to get geared up. Perhaps because it was automatic to them. Don't be rushed, so you are sure you got everything in order.

Last edited:
Keep your gear in a small space and try to stay organized. If you use the head (toilet) don't flush anything you have not already eaten. Try to pack your bag in the order you plan to put it on. Relax, look around to see what other people are doing and make it the learning experience it should be. Everyone has their first time on the boat. You will learn what to expect, make note of what you think you will or will not need next time. Just be safe and have a good time.

I'll second all the good advice you've been given so far and add figure out which way the wind is blowing. This will change as the boat is under way. You want the wind at your back if you need to throw up. Try to do it over the side of the boat. If it is warm and sunny out, peel down your wetsuit (assuming you are diving wet) so you don't overheat.

Also, I try to know how long it takes to get ready for a dive. I never rush (rather be a little behind than rush and be overheated); it is not a race. I watch for when everyone starts getting ready then try to time it so I'm ready when the last guy is jumping in the water. Then I can follow them and be just a few seconds behind. Doing it right is more important than doing it fast. The more you do it right the faster you will become.

With 4 dives on Saturday watch your hydration. I would drink a lot of fluids between dives to maintain my electrolyte level. I find if i am the whole day on the boat and i don't drink enough I get a head ache. Expect to be very tired at the end of the day. Four dives even knowing the kind of dive profiles you will be doing for AOW will be taxing. I would also take a precautionary dose of dramamine a couple of days before you dive to make sure it causes no adverse effects. My wife took Dramamine for her first boat dive and was so drowsy that she called her dive rather than run the risk of doing something stupid in the water. Above all enjoy your time on the boat and the diving. Good luck and safe diving!

I agree with water, and lots of it, as the beverage of choice, though Gatorade is ok as well. Bring bland and easily digestible food. Also, bring 2 oranges. Nothing gets the salt water taste out of your mouth like a couple of orange slices. You will enjoy the ease of boat diving, and, as you are doing AOW dives with an instructor, you will get a nice tutorial on all aspects of boast diving as you go along. For those little things you don't learn in class but should know, read the Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette Chapter 3, and The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette Book 2, Chapter 2. That is all you need to know.
DivemasterDennis

I always make it a point to be sociable and talk to as many people on the boat as possible. Two reasons:

First, it's enjoyable. I sometimes travel alone and want to meet the other divers. Being sociable is part of the trip. You never know who or what you'll find out when you learn to turn strangers into friends.

Second, not so much for a certification dive, but generally speaking, you want as many people as possible to notice you so if you aren't on the boat when it's ready to leave, someone speaks up. I know most dive boats keep a list of entries & exits, but still, who's responsible for you? I want to make it easy for someone to remember "what happened to the fat ugly guy from "New Jersey?":D

I want to make it easy for someone to remember "what happened to the fat ugly guy from "New Jersey?":D

Yea, what did happen to that fat ugly guy from New Jersey?

Getting off the boat, you usually have the choice of the Lipton Splash (falling in backward) or a Giant Stride. I've seen my share of people banging their tank off of the platform doing a not so Giant Stride that I tend to recommend the Lipton Splash. If you go the Giant Stride route, be sure to actually take a Giant stride, and hang onto your mask and reg as you enter. Oh, also, make sure your reg is in your mouth when you splash. Don't laugh, it happens. A little bump of air into your BC before splashing will stop you from going in negative (assuming your weight is pretty well set). Getting back on the boat, you don't want to be hovering directly behind a diver that is boarding just ahead of you because if they slip and fall, that tank crashing on your head is going to really smart. I use dramamine when seas are in the 4-6 range and I never get seasick. The captain will appreciate you giving the OK sign (fist placed to top of your head) when you surface. I doubt you'll get cold between dives, but having towel to dry off really helps if the temps are running in the low 70's. I second the suggestion for orange slices for a snack. For the 4 dive day, I'd bring a sandwich. Have fun! Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom