Do Not Know What To Do...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have to talk about this with someone the can understand me...

The first time I put a regulator in my mouth was in Sharm El Sheikh on 04/10/03...

I got the OWD certification and I also got certified as an AOWD...

They believed I was the "Usual" tropical diver that dives 2-3 weeks per year but I wanted to prove to them that they were wrong...

I returned to Italy, bought my own gear and started diving in totally different conditions from Sharm...

After 3 or 4 dives the owner of the diving center convinced me that I could become a Rescue Diver and that he would have corrected some skills that could have not been properly done in Sharm...

I have to admit that the owner is following me very closely, we do lots of work in the pool and he stimulates me in becoming a better diver...

The problem is that he wants me to become a Dive Master...

Yesterday, after a pool session he said :"Ok, you do not need to work in the pool anymore, let's go in the water and finish this Rescue Diver course then one week for the Nitrox class and you will begin the Dive Master class"...

I could not say anything but this time I am not convinced at all...

Why does he want me to become one of his team ???
I was (and I still think I am) a Mr. Nobody for the scuba world 5 months ago and now he wants me to start a Dive Master course (18 dives under my belt up to now) ???

I do not think I am that good but the problem is that they are already treating me as one of their Dive Master and keep on saying :"He will continue his education"...

What I want for now is finish the Rescue Diver course and take the Nitrox class but I do not know what I want for my future as a diver...

I feel a little bit of pressure on me and I do not like it and I also think what they will say if I say :"I am sorry, no Dive Master course for me, I am not interested"...

Any suggestions ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

No way in heck you should even be CONSIDERED for Dive Master training with 18 Dives!

I think they view you as one walking cash machine. Take some time off, get out and just dive.

Boogie711:
Take some time off, get out and just dive.

Agreed...

Go back, if you are still interested, after you've done 100 additional dives.

He might be looking for a Divermaster to make his dive trips work.

You've got the best answer already. Finish Rescue and Nitrox and then dive your butt off for a while before considering Divemaster.

the biggest give-away is how you feel. you don't feel comfortable doing it,
you should not.

what if you end up in a dive as DM trying to help someone who is in trouble and
you both get hurt as a result?

follow your instinct. right or wrong, you'll have time to go back and do DM later.
no need to rush into it.

I agree - do some more dives before thinking about the DM course...
From the sounds of it - you also seem concerned about the LDS. It seems like you have a fairly good relationship with as you mentioned in the pool example and you just don't want to lose that by cutting it off abruptly.
If this is not the case, then you have nothing to worry about. Just tell them you're not interested in it at this point in time... if they freak out... so be it. There are other dive stores out there.
If it is the case, you have to tell them eventually... just explain the situation as you stated here.
Maybe ask him why he thinks you should take the DM course?

What they said! (1) Enjoy your diving, safely. (2) Do what you want to do, and don't let pressure be a bother. (3) Come back to think about more when you are ready.

Really, the only course I can see for you now - after 18 dives, is Nitrox.

Have fun & good luck, don

Do Not Know What To Do...

Yes you do!!!
We are with you! Trust that inner voice and the great advice this board has to offer!

Now get out of the shop and go dive!

Hallmac

Don Burke:
He might be looking for a Divermaster to make his dive trips work.

You've got the best answer already. Finish Rescue and Nitrox and then dive your butt off for a while before considering Divemaster.

Erik, that's basically what I did. 18 dives is not enough (although you do have to have at least 60 to get certified as a DM through PADI). But don't waste your time starting the DM program right away. With more experience, you will be able to relate more to the DM course if and when you decide to go through with it.

Thanks guys, I feel better now...

I think I reached my comfort level and I will not go beyond taking the DM course...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

P.S. Hope they will understand but If they freak out it will not be one of my problems...

Back
Top Bottom