University Club Governing Body

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gvnwst

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, a little background. I run a SCUBA Club at my university, about 200 total members (honestly, it's like 15-25 people who regularly do anything, though). There's a new policy coming in for "sports & outdoor clubs" that requires us to be part of a national governing body. I believe the hope is that body will provide basic insurance or make stuff cheaper. That's easy for clubs like Lacrosse, who have groups like the NCAA... but where should I look? The sports club director is a diver, thankfully, and understands it might not be possible.

Are there programs for this? I couldn't find if DAN does something, but maybe a certification agency "recognizes" clubs?

Thanks!

You might look into:
Underwater Society of America
which says in part:
One of the main functions of the Society is education and information - keeping divers, councils and clubs aware of the issues affecting them.
and:
As a charter member of the World Underwater Federation (C.M.A.S.), the Society is the sanctioning body for underwater sports in the US.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could set up an account with DAN to get a reference number. Have your members sign up with DAN and reference you, and you'll get points to purchase O2 & emergency kits from them.

Propose that to your Uni and explain the unique situation regarding Dive insurance coverage and see if they accept it or give you an exemption.

You should also clarify with the Uni. If it's not about Insurance and more about just being part of a National Body, I don't see scuba falling under that in the US.

In the UK, university dive clubs also tend to be a branch of BSAC.

I will ask our Club President, but I thought we were associated with PADI (for insurance). But we have instructors from NAUI and SSI who are valued club members as well.

For SCUBA, there is no such "national governing body". (NGB)

In Northern Ireland, there lies the only international exception of which I am aware: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Federation_of_Sub-Aqua_Clubs

You can GOOGLE definitions of NBDs.

I served on the "National Governing Body for the Sport of Skiing", (USSA) and it operated under some kind of recognition from the US Congress :)hm: I recall), and among other things was tasked to create a National Team (USST) and every four years, the US Olympic Ski Team. (Do not misconstrue, I was not even in the "minor god" classification, but the Chairman (a USSA VP) of Recreational Skiing/USSA Ski Week, but... I pretty well seen it all)

This "annointment" of the organization as an NGB is done to give it some legitimacy and thus control over the inherent infighting that swirls around every damned sport, most especially at the National level. (Any doubt? Look at the biography of the good shepherd Whitey Willauer, CIA, USSA, and some other initials)

In any sport that is an Olympic Sport (possibly meaning one that has an NGB because all recognized, current or proposed Olympic Disciplines must have one) there is also some kind of reduced threat of liability incurred whilst instructing real-deal youth pipeline/amateur interest programs that follow any such NGB discipline's process. Better check a sports lawyer on that one, but I seem to recall such a status.

That's easy for clubs like Lacrosse, who have groups like the NCAA...

Nope. The NGB for LaCrosse is USLA (US LaCrosse Assn). The GOOGLES told me so. The NCAA is part of that inbred infighting money machine system that I alluded to earlier. An NGB has a distinct definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_governing_body

That liability thing is likely why your school is interested in a NGB status for any given sport, club, etc. Always follow the money.

Last edited:
Check with the dive clubs from some other schools and see what they recommend. search for a recent thread about a Grandfather wondering what (USA) Universities have the most active dive clubs. the responses to that thread name many schools with big, active, well-established clubs, also indicating a few SB members asociated with the dive programs or the schools. From there you can get some ideas of who and what schools to ask.

I will ask our Club President, but I thought we were associated with PADI (for insurance). But we have instructors from NAUI and SSI who are valued club members as well.

Good Day.

I spoke to our club's President and we get our club insurance thru PADI. I once knew that PADI had a special educational program associated with colleges and their clubs. I do not know if that is still true today.

I suggest that you call them at 800 729 7234...

Good luck and Happy Bubbles.

~Oldbear~

Back
Top Bottom