O2 Analyzer if just diving air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have not invested in an O2 analyzer yet as I dont dive Nitrox. After reading feedback from others on this site I am strongly leaning towards the "test every tank" camp with respect to both CO and O2. My question is regarding the O2. Given that I dont request Nitrox fills what is the risk of getting a Nitrox fill by accident and ending up with O2 toxicity issues? Is this a realistic situation that could happen? It sounds somewhat far fetched. Is this concern justified? Do most divers test their "air" fills to ensure it's in fact "air"?

Happened to me once, but the boat told me about it before I dove. As the divesite didn't get deep enough to cause trouble, I dove it anyway. (I was before I was nitrox certified, but I knew the basics and confirmed the MOD with the DM and captain.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

But my question would be how did you know that the actual O2 content was? So what if the filler put 40% Nitrox by mistake for example? even shallower than 100 Feet this sould spell trouble. Did they test the tank in front of you on the boat prior to you diving it?

If the shop or operator where you are getting your gas has the capability to provide Nitrox, it is not a bad idea to analyze your tank and be sure that it is what you think it is. It is possible to get Nitrox by mistake (which could be dangerous on a deep dive) or, if they are partial pressure blending, to get O2 by mistake, which could be lethal on just about any normal dive.

Reactions: D_B
I really wish we had a simple, single instrument that tests for O2 and CO at the same time. And then the standard procedure on a boat would be that every diver tests his or her tank, air or nitrox. Simple procedure, easy to implement. But I'm not aware of any such combo device.

As the Borg-y lady said, it rather depends on what you're doing and what you know about the source of your fills. If you're on a live aboard that's banking premixed EAN of a sufficiently low % that even getting a tankful of the wrong stuff won't cause you to tox at your planned depth...meh, don't waste the time analyzing for O2. I'd still be checking CO, so it's not like the process has been eliminated, though.

OTOH, if you're diving deep on air and/or you can't be very confident about where/how the tanks could be getting filled (which includes either not trusting the op to tell you and/or not wanting to engage in that discussion as many times as circumstances necessitate)...it's probably faster and easier to just slap on an O2 analyzer before you put the reg on.

Appreciate everyone's feedback. Sounds to me like I will be dropping money in some analyzers. I have 36 dives only and when I dove in Mexico the first year after my cert the instructor (whom I had befriended as I am fluent in Spanish) went over to my tank and did what I can refer to as a sniff test. I asked him what he was doing and he told me that he was checking my air to make sure it was not bad. At the time i had no idea of the risk of CO in scuba tanks. He told me that if it "smells somehwat like car emissions" then you know the air is bad. 2 years later, knowing what i know about O2 MOD's and CO risk it really makes we wonder what risk I was taking without even understanding it. It has been in the back of my mind every time I strap the BC to a tank as I have never tested any of them. As I stated I get my air fills at what I deem to be reputable LDS but accidents happen, even to "good drivers" so to speak. So I am PADI Open Water certified and no where in the book that I recall was CO risk or increased O2 content risk related to "Bad Fills" covered as part of the training. Should this not be part of the course? At least let new divers know what the risk of a "bad Fill" is and then one can make up his/her mind as to whether or not to invest in analyzers. Sounds a little like Russin Rulette to me, albeit with much improved odds.

George V

Good responses from all. Again it is extremely important you know with confidence who and where you get your breathing gas. You don't need to purchase your own analyzer state side. However I always take mine and personally analyze every tank I use when out of the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am PADI Open Water certified and no where in the book that I recall was CO risk or increased O2 content risk related to "Bad Fills" covered as part of the training. Should this not be part of the course?

George V

George, I'm looking at section 4 of the PADI OW manual, page 188-191. It's in there. The text doesn't get into much detail on how CO contamination happens or how often, but the topic is addressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom