Observations on Give & Take

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As I have been diving over the past 8 or so yrs , reading various forums & researching different styles of diving, I have come to realize more & more, that Scuba is a "give & take" proposition. I am not trying to open any particular can of worms on any hot button topic, but just putting the observation out there. Where you gain an advantage here, there is typically a disadvantage there. A few examples:
  • Depth & Bottom Times- NDL- more depth means giving up bottom time. Decompression diving- it can mean more decompression obligation.
  • Nitrox vs Air- More bottom time, but limitations in depth & a few potential risks
  • Single cylinder vs double cylinders- simplicity vs longer bottom time & redundancy
  • Open Circuit vs Closed Circuit- shorter bottom times (singles) or more weight (doubles) vs lighter weight, but more risks & typically more complexity.
There are a lot more that just isn't coming to mind at this moment,... but it shows that:

1. One size doesn't fit all-What may work for one person or situation, may not work for everyone or every situation. One should dive within their training, skills & comfort levels for the type of diving thay do,... or seek some sort of assisance to become proficient & safe in the way they want to dive
  2. Before making significant changes to the way one dives, an individual should thoroughly research the changes, seek guidance from those that dive that particular equipment configuration or environment. Then, if needed,learn, practice & become proficient at it. Understand the benefits & the risks, both.
Personally I dive a few different ways. Each way is different for different purposes. No one way is better or worse than another, if used in its proper context.

Absolutely, wet VS dry is another one to me.

Within thermal limitations I much prefer the simplicity and predictability of diving in a wetsuit or less. On the other hand my drysuit lets me engoy dives and diving in times and places where going wet would be uncomfortable or even dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom