Diving dangers for smokers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brnt999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last winter I went to Cozumel and took my Advanced Open Water course. Before I could take the course I had to get a medical checkup and I went to a local medical clinic. When the doctor found out I smoked he insisted I get a chest X-Ray. He then signed the medical release with the caveat that I couldn't dive deeper than 60 feet.

I was wondering if there is scientific evidence to support the notion that it is safe for a smoker to dive to 60 feet but unsafe to dive deeper. What is the rational behind this?

Thanks

Some of the people I dive regularly with have been diving for longer than I have been alive and have smoked for even longer, none of them have any problem diving deeper than 60 feet, and none have, as far I know, had any medical trouble related to smoking + deep diving.

I can't see any effect that would make diving safe for a smoker on dives to 60 feet but dangerous for dives deeper than 60 feet, but I am not a medical professional and you probably should listen to your medical doctor.

Curious what the doctor's rationale would be. I know plenty of people who smoke who dive deeper than 60 feet ... and they don't appear to have difficulties doing it.

I think the inherent danger with smoking is more long-term. This past week-end I was talking to a guy at our local dive site who told me he used to be a diver, but that part of his life was over. I was surprised, as he didn't appear to be even as old as I am. Then he told me he had COPD, from smoking. Most folks, when they make lifestyle choices, don't look far enough to down the road to think about the fact that when they hit their 50's and 60's they're still going to want to be active.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I vaguely remember him saying something about the fact that the probability of an embolism in a smokers lungs is higher?

I smoke and I am aware that smoking makes the lungs less effective at gas exchange ergo smoking increases the risks of 'gas-exchange related injuries'. A simple google search will give you more detailed information.

Firstly,

you should consider not smoking.

Coming from the pot.....and you are the kettle.

I smoked 20 years. Quit 2 years ago thanks to the E-cig. I love nicotine. Is it a compromise?....is it a cop out? not sure, but i feel a ton better. I think the big question is what condition/shape are you in now. I was lucky in life, sports was always a part of my lifestyle....4-6 hours in the gym for the better part of my life chasing around a stupid blue ball in a 20 x 40 court.

my smallish opinion. All dependent on your age, condition and genetics. 26 and a smoker....65 and a smoker. big difference.

Good luck, and Good diving to you.

c

Last winter I went to Cozumel and took my Advanced Open Water course. Before I could take the course I had to get a medical checkup and I went to a local medical clinic. When the doctor found out I smoked he insisted I get a chest X-Ray. He then signed the medical release with the caveat that I couldn't dive deeper than 60 feet.

I was wondering if there is scientific evidence to support the notion that it is safe for a smoker to dive to 60 feet but unsafe to dive deeper. What is the rational behind this?

Thanks

Interesting.

If you had answered "yes" to any of the questions and therefore required a medical clearance, the clearance signed with a caveat is not valid. Surprising (maybe not) that it was accepted.

I doubt there's any science behind his specific 60' limit, however there are plenty of reasons to not dive at all with lungs full of tar.

I'm surprised that smokers dive at all.

flots

Back
Top Bottom