MYTH OR FACT - Cressi ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnmckenzie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is from a Facebook post by a Cressi rep. Is it Myth or Fact?

"Cressi is the ONLY dive computer manufacturer who OWNS every piece of the production?? They are "owners" of the factory that makes the motherboards. Not even Suunto owns the factory their computer motherboards are made in.... Definitely the leaders in doing the MOST research and development for new products in the dive industry. Cressi isn't a "stamp our name on it and call it good" company."

I'm not concerned about how much you like Cressi, just if this is true or not.

Thank you,
John

I very much doubt they own everything - I bet they don't manufacture the semiconductors that go in their computers. AP Diving are another company that buy in very little from external suppliers to create their finished products.

If this is true, it is recent. The same computer (made by Seiko) was sold as the Dive Rite Nitek Duo, Cressi Archimedes, Tusa IQ-700, Apeks Quantum, Zeagle N2ition.

it's a nice question, but since you're following her posts on Facebook, why wouldn't you ask the question directly to the person who wrote it? don't you think it would be more appropriate to follow up with her first?

Don't know, don't care. You want to see the opposite of "Stamp our name on it and call it good", look at something like a Shearwater, a Liquivision, or maybe a HW...not a Cressi, which is massproduced regardless of whether it's all under the same giant roof or not.

I wouldnt want something made entirely in house. Kind of like seeing a general doctor for your brain surgery and heart surgery. Could they do it? Possibly. Would they do the best job? Probably not. I would want the specalist doing what they do best

I wouldnt want something made entirely in house. Kind of like seeing a general doctor for your brain surgery and heart surgery. Could they do it? Possibly. Would they do the best job? Probably not. I would want the specalist doing what they do best

That's kind of a double edged sword with computer parts. If you do it all in house you can ride herd on a problem or process change. If you've outsourced manufacture to China (Foxconn or similar) manufacturing changes could be a surprise to cressi or whoever is branding the product. That vendor could even outsource to another company for part of the process. It gets ugly fast.

That's kind of a double edged sword with computer parts. If you do it all in house you can ride herd on a problem or process change. If you've outsourced manufacture to China (Foxconn or similar) manufacturing changes could be a surprise to cressi or whoever is branding the product. That vendor could even outsource to another company for part of the process. It gets ugly fast.

Yup, and "no process, material changes" clauses mean little to many manufacturers.

it's a nice question, but since you're following her posts on Facebook, why wouldn't you ask the question directly to the person who wrote it? don't you think it would be more appropriate to follow up with her first?

I did FB chat with her on this. I am looking for confirmation or the lack there of from multiple sources. Also the Scubaboard conversation reveals interesting threads such as "Is making in house really better or not?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom