40th birthday recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocknrone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In February I have my 40th birthday and my wife suggested we head somewhere warm to dive and celebrate on a beach. You only turn 40 once so who am I to argue with that. The problem is we already have a few trips planned.

Were going on a cruise this November to the western caribbean, (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman). I know were diving Cozumel and Roatan the other two not sure yet.

In April were headed to the grand canyon for spring break with the kids.

In June were taking the kids to Clearwater Florida for a week. It will be a family trip but I think the misses and I can get two days diving in there.

In November my brothers and I are headed to the Bahamas to give Blackbeards liveaboard a try.

With these trips already planned I need suggestions for a birthday location that must meet three criteria;

1. warm air

2. warm water (preferably clear)

3. CHEAP!

Im not rich so Im looking for a poor mans gettaway. Im also new to diving so the location doesn't have to be spectacular to entertain me. I'm still in the "happy to be blowing bubbles" stage and the only salt water diving we have done was in Oahu so Im open to everything.

I looked at Key Largo first but most people are saying it can be fairly cold on the surface with some large waves to stir things up.

Puerto Rico looks promising I found round trip flights for $400 from Salt Lake City.

I welcome any advice, thanks.

Consider Roatan for the dive trip. My wife and I like Bananarama on Wedt Bay beach. Who are you diving with on the cruise? The cruise will be a great way to see if you like the place.

We haven't made a decision yet for the cruise op. Some research here should help narrow it down. I may dive cozumel and insist on going back. I don't know because I've never been there. It just needs to be cheap. If I could do the whole thing for $2500 that would be great. We did a week in Hawaii with three days diving and lots of other attractions for $3000. That was airfare and car rental included.

When I saw you are in Salt Lake, a couple of ideas came to mind...

Alaska Airlines just expanded their air service out of Salt Lake City and they fly to several destinations in Mexico. I know they've been advertising some good introductory airfares. That might be a cheap option.

My son and daughter-in-law just had a great time on their honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. Apparently, this is a new up-and-coming resort destination. I don't know what the diving is like there, though. But they got a great deal on a week-long all-inclusive. It might be worth a look...

Lidja

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roatan, especially if you are willing to go low budget accommodations. Yes, West Bay is besutiful and certainly you should take a water taxi down there a time or two! But for budget, stay in West End. Great place to celebrate a birthday. Dives with West End Divers are approx $30 each and may have a discount for 10+ dives. There's some quaint accommodations to be found that have kitchenettes, satellite tv and aircon for under $50+/-. But they are clean and well run. Local beer and rum drinks are dirt cheap. And lots of good eats to be found for good prices.

Roatan or Cozumel...many different options to choose from. Package dive vacations seem to be popular. In Roatan I stayed at Anthony's Key Resort...Awesome. A bit pricey but it was worth every dime for me. I know there are less expensive venues with just as great diving. In Cozumel I stayed twice with Hotel Cozumel and dived with Paradise Dive. Again a great package deal. I was a newly certified diver the last time I was there and their set up worked awesome for me and my skill level. I was thinking the next time I would try Scuba Club Cozumel; it was highly recommended to me.

BTW...the cruise ship dives tend to be very basic in nature. So if you enjoyed a dive booked thru a cruise line, most likely you will love the other dive sites that the cruise lines do not book to.

Bonaire and shore dive.
Great weather. You can dive as much or as little as you want to. Go selfcatering and hire a small van, loads of options.
Not sure about prices from Idaho but hopefully they won't break the budget.

Victor...great suggestion.

Most of the Caribbean can be reached from the US with flights out of Houston.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into West Bay and see what they have.

We flew Alaska air to Hawaii and it was really affordable so I will check out their website for some promotional deals.

As far as Bonaire goes we're going to wait on that one. My wife is still nervous about doing a non guided shore dive. She would like to have more experience in the ocean before we book that trip. Im lucky to have my wife as my dive buddy so I'm going to sit tight and wait till she's ready for that trip. No sense in ruining the good thing I have going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom