To buy or not to buy... The TANK.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all!

So we have got back into diving (my wife and I) and we have purchased virtually every piece of gear. The only outstanding items are tanks and weights. For perspective, we have dived every weekend for a month now... this upcoming weekend we will be taking our first break.

The question is - is it worth for us to buy a tank already? Should we hold off for some time? Can't help to think that 9-10 dive trips out on the boat will pay for the tanks. But, given the amount of money we have spent for all the gear thus far - we haven't considered it.

We have also been diving with a good dive watch and tables. Perhaps a dive computer will be better next purchase, whenever that is.

DPS

Probably a computer first. There are so many variables to tanks as far as size/weight/capacity. You also have to inspect and hydro them. Probably best to get a little more experience first.

On the other hand watch craigslist for tanks. Aluminum 80's come up all the time pretty cheap. If buying a used tank make sure it has air in it and is still in vis and hydro. If it isn't negotiate for the seller to cover the cost of those to make sure the tank is in good condition before hand.

The deal that DiveGearExpress has on the Hollis DG03 is really hard to pass up for computers, $250 for the last computer you really need, want is another concern, but the last one you'll really need.

As far as tanks, don't buy new, scour craigslist, something will come up. AL80's usually come up in the $70-$80 range used, might have to hydro and vip them, but that's not too bad. Steels come up pretty cheap as well, so keep an eye out for them because they will help you with weight. They're lighter on land for the same volume and typically need 5lbs less lead. HP100's are probably the ones to look out for. 2lbs heavier on land, but 30% more air, and 5lbs less lead to carry around, so you drop 3lbs of weight to carry and gain 25cf of air, can't argue there

… Can't help to think that 9-10 dive trips out on the boat will pay for the tanks…

Not sure I understand this. Quite a few boats include tanks, fills, and weights in the price of the charter. Is that not the case in your area? It is nice not to have to lug tanks and weights to and from the boat especially when it is x2 people.

Of course it depends on what type of diving you do and how often of each type. If you are doing square profiles most of the time from boats and simple shore dives, probably don't need the computer right away. OTOH, many charters require a computer anyway and will give you one (good) or rent you one ($). Tanks--again, depends. What are the costs to rent each day with the charter(s) you will take? Are weights included in the fee? I don't believe the boat here includes tanks/weights. In N. FL I think that is the case as well, at least for tanks. Renting a tank for shore dives usually is only a couple of bucks more than getting your own filled. Also, if you buy, how many? How often will you want to go to a shop to get them filled?

Thanks all.

Well - we have mostly done boat dives (2 tanks - 2 dives)... The boat ride alone is $50-60, each tank is $10 (weights included). So we are pay an additional $40 for both of us each time we go out. If a tank is say... $200, then ~10 dives will pay for 2 tanks. That's how i'm thinking about it. Of course, we would still have to rent 1 tank each. So perhaps ~20 dive trips will pay for 2 tanks.

Thanks all.

Well - we have mostly done boat dives (2 tanks - 2 dives)... The boat ride alone is $50-60, each tank is $10 (weights included). So we are pay an additional $40 for both of us each time we go out. If a tank is say... $200, then ~10 dives will pay for 2 tanks. That's how i'm thinking about it. Of course, we would still have to rent 1 tank each. So perhaps ~20 dive trips will pay for 2 tanks.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of getting your tank filled each time. You could also factor in maintenance costs (e.g., visual and hydro testing) over time, divided down to a per-dive cost contribution.

DOn't forget you will have to pay to put air in those tanks. Usually i the $5-8 range. S0me shops charge more for HP tanks or larger volume tanks.

FYI - I have 3 tanks I carry around with me. I like HP steels for the reason another guy posted above. I can't always rent them so I bring my own. Having the same set up all the time really helps me feel more comfortable in the water.

Like most of the conversations in diving "it depends" What is your typical type of diving?

If I did mostly shore dives within short distance of my house, I'd like the freedom of having a tank ready to go whenever it fits me (suddenly I have free time, I hear from neighbors the coral is spawning or whatever)

Same if I have the boat in my backyard and the dive site is just few minutes transit.

If going diving would be delayed or all together stopped due to not having a tank ready, then I would continue using tables and a watch for a bit longer and buy tanks.

On the other extreme, if most of my dives happen after flying or some serious travelling I wouldn't buy tanks ever.

Then comes the gray area between the extremes, you may be exactly in the middle where tossing a coin to decide is just as effective as a full study on what is the most effective move, do you want the "best financial" move or the so difficult to define "pleasure-giving" move?

Diving is so wonderful you can actually justify either one.
The computer has buttons! you'll use it during the dive, touch it, and see it. Then depending on the model after the dive you download the dive and manipulate the data in who knows how many ways. You can also start messing with it before the dive, planning and such.

The tank with proper maintenance will outlive many computers, at least my tanks have. If you are lucky and live in a place where dive shops understand air fills / different gases / and all that voo doo then you can control exactly what you breath on each and every dive.

So.... to answer your question depends!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom