What do you wear under your personal wetsuit while out on charter boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When I dive up here in Bham off my boat I wear boxers under my fleece and dry suit.
My wetsuit on the other hand is snug, so I don't wear anything underneath. I grew up surfing in Huntington Beach so that is the norm there.
Anyway, in March I went to Maui and took my gear and went commando...of course using a beach towel to change.
Everyone else wore trunks or bikinis underneath, but they were in rental suits.
Im just wondering what the norm is, don't want to offend anyone when I go back to Hawaii in a couple weeks.

I wear my bathing suit unless diving directly out of our basement, in which case commando-- one less thing to rinse.

I wear compression shorts. But remember... just say NO to Speedos.

Speedo.jpg

I wear boxers or a pair of board shorts. I wrap with a towel when I change so I can cover myself while I change into something dry. I figure not enough difference in a pair of boxers and a pair of shorts to offend anyone.

I wear lycra type of shorts(like biker shorts but with no butt padding).......Used to wear a speedo type-----BUT----this is a lot better looking, to all those diving with me..:)...(if you know what I mean).....

I'm in the cheap-o compression short camp. Helps the suit slide up over the hips, after the dive I can get out of the suit, throw on a t-shirt for the sun and be good to go. I get the walmart ones, about 12 bucks a pair or so.

Steve

Doubt you're going to offend anyone if you don't flash them, and with a bunch of divers maybe not even then. But sometimes you're going to want to take the suit off in public, or not even put it on until you get close to the site on a longer boat trip. I think having something underneath is just more practical and easier than messing with a towel, especially on a cramped boat.

If you were ever to do a liveaboard don't get the idea that you'll just run down to your cabin to change. Typically wetsuits are banned from inside so the boat doesn't start to stink.

I wear Jammers under my wetsuits and when I swim laps in the pool. They are similar to speedo's but go almost to the knees. They do not bunch up like board shorts or regular trunks under your suit.

Lol, was about to get in there with a Speedo comment, but Dirty Dog beat me to it. So what to wear....anything that's neither nothing or a speedo. Sometimes you may need to undress in a public place, and there's some things your buddy and dive crew just don't need to see!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom