Best semi dry for uk waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockystock1

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the best semi dry for uk waters, just to pass my ow-aow??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably any make that is 7mm with a decent dry-suit zipper.

Last time I dived UK (Scotland) with a semi-dry was in 1995 and I used a Beaver Sports 7mm with hood and waistcoat and I was still bloody cold at 14C

I dived off the Costa Brava last month with my Tecnomar (Spanish make) 7mm semi dry and was fine in 19C after two dives at 60+ mins each dive.

I also have a Mares 6.5mm semi-dry and would reckon that is just as good, really depends on how comfortable you are in the temperatures you will encounter and how much exposure you will have time wise, only you can tell.

FWIW I use my 7mm semi dry up to 25C then change over to a 5mm wetsuit.

Ive been diving in Scotland all year round for the last few years in a pinnacle polar, ive dived off boats and the shore in sun and snow and never had any problems. Lots of my friends dive in 7mm semi-drys of various makes as well.

Skip the semi dry and spring for a drysuit. While the water is still kind of okay temperature wise above the thermocline, below the first thermocline it is about 12*, and 7* below the the second (at about 20m). As we head into winter, temps are going to drop rapidly, and if you hope to continue diving throughout winter, a drysuit is the way to go.

I am not sure a semi is the best solution for the rather cold waters up there. I have a SP Nova Scotia semi (7mm I think) and dived it in 15celuis waters. Key is to use a very good hoodie. I also 2nd a move straight to drysuit.

I also have the Scubapro Novascotia and have done lots of cold water dives in it (<10°C). Its zipper doesn't let any water in and you can wear something warm as a base layer that will stay dry. For most of my dives I used a 1.5mm neoprene long sleeves t-shirt and the Novascotia on top. I think the Novascotia is currently the best semi-dry suit out there. It's pricey though, and you loose thermal protection as you go deeper. For me, the comfort depth went down to 10 or 15m, but not deeper.

Another vote for skipping the semi-dry and going for a drysuit. Seaskin do excellent suits - you can get a made to measure suit for £500. You can add options such as pockets, zip cover, neoprene over-cuffs etc - mine came in at around £600.

A proper semi-dry won't be cheap. There are many wetsuits marketed as semi-dry that are really just wetsuits with Glideskin cuff and ankle seals; they will still let quite a bit of water through though. For a true semi-dry, the cost isn't going to be much less than a decent drysuit.

Some sites in the UK get a bit chilly at depth. When I did my CCR course in Vobster Quay, I was sweating like a fat lass in a disco when I got into my suit. The water was quite warm at the surface so I wore my thin gloves. For one dive, we had to swim at a steady 20 metres for 20 minutes to measure our O2 consumption rate, and by the end of it, my hands were almost dropping off until we got back above the thermocline. Dorothea in North Wales is very cold all year round.

I get the point,, I'm going with u dave and going for the sea skin neoprene dry suit,,O three do made to measure also but it's much more expensive, what's the differnce??

I've purchased a beaver semi dry just for my course in two weeks. The suit is 7mm 2peice brand new at £150. I bet I freeze my bollocks off, drysuit ticket next on my agenda

---------- Post added October 12th, 2014 at 07:51 PM ----------

Is the pee valve worth it??

Consider going for the membrane suit instead... lighter and dries faster.

(Edit: And that is a yes on the pee-valve...)

I like to swim about tho and membrane just seems baggy..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom