Nitrox tank labeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnaber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When filling out the MOD info on the label at the dive shop, which MOD do you use PO2 1.4 or 1.6? I've been reading different messages and most say they use PO2 of 1.4 where my instructor said to use 1.6.

Any thoughts?

I always use and teach 1.4

I use 1.3 since I am the only one that dives the tanks and 1.3 is my own personal mod. If somebody stole my tanks and dove the MOD they would not be hurt.

1.4 for nitrox & recreational diving. Anything less (1.3 for example) is also fine.

Navy dive tables (1.6) were for navy divers, young men in excellent shape and less than 1/2 my age. So maybe 0.8 wouldn't be a bad idea either...

1.4 is the current standard for recreational diving ... 1.6 was the standard when I took my nitrox class in 2002 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Every shop I have filled at adds the MOD and uses 1.4 on the labels. Though I usually dive to 1.6.

You are fine with 1.6 - although the standard is 1.4
The idea is that if you use 1.4 and you dive a little deeper on accident you still have 0.2 as a buffer. But if your responsible and pay attention you can use 1.6 as a hard MOD. Some even push past 1.6 but that's not smart.

Depends on your personal risk aversion.
Since seizures are scarier than mild DCS, I’d be much less likely to push MOD than NDL. In actuality, I push neither.

Interesting in that SDI courses use 1.6 and the PADI course uses 1.4 So depends on your training and diving application.

Everyone is somewhat different of course and personally believe reserved is better than aggressive. That's one benefit to being able to adjust your dive computer.

Many folks use 1.3 or even 1.2 for their calculations and computers.

Many strange things happen in this world of Scuba and remember there's only one butt connected to the tank you're wearing and guess who it belongs too.

Back
Top Bottom