Got my OW, and AOW, what's next ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedgehog47

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does PADI go in a chronological order in it's training ? I did my night dive, navigation, deep dive. wreck drive to 80 feet so far. I also have my Nitrox

What is "next" in the training ? or what would you all reccomend ? I would like to increase my skills, the more knowledge I have the safer I will be, I feel.

Last edited:
I got my Nitrox card just before going on my AOW dives (the wrecks were at or below 100 feet so it helped extend my bottom time even at my consumption rate). I'm thinking about completing the Deep and Wreck specialties sometime in the next year.

Many people here have mentioned Rescue as being the training level to make someone fully competent for recreational diving but I want to get some more dives in before that.

Some dives is a good start, but Rescue would certainly round out the package and it is by far the most fun you can have while learning some key skills. If not then Nitrox or maybe a specialty that you have a real interest in. There are so many to choose from, and you never stop learning.

You're already in Florida. Great. I'd recommend a trip down to Key Largo to do 2 2-tank boat trips/day guided dives with Rainbow Reef Dive Center, at least when conditions are good, and bang out a bunch of real world dives in very short order with a mix of shallow reef dives and some deep wrecks all in a budget trip not all that far from home. Here's my trip report from last year.

After that, you might want to consider hitting either the lemon shark aggregation or the goliath grouper aggregation out of Jupiter, Florida. My trip report from the latter this year.

Nitrox will come in handy for live-aboard diving, or for intense shore diving on a Bonaire trip. If you're interested in live-aboards, read a thread or two discussing the AquaCat in the Bahamas.

I do think Nitrox and Rescue are 'what's next' in your training, most likely. Underwater Navigation could be quite useful if done well (and you have an aptitude for it, unlike me).

Richard.

Nitrox would be next, but after that you should do a lot of diving without an instructor/course to complete. You need to learn what it is like to plan dives, adapt to changing circumstances, get lost, and most importantly have fun without an instructor present.

I would recommend like others to get 50 or so dives behind you. This gives you some time to think about the ow and aow course and become profecient in the skills. More than that it provides many opportunities to talk to other divers and solidify what you learned in ow and aow along with listening in on discussions about deco and notrox and partial pressures in ways you could not while in ow and aow class. By this point you should be well on your way to good buoyancy and posess a greater confidence in your abilities. This is when you can jump into nitrox and get the max benifit from the course. Prior campfire talk will allow you to learn intelligently about the world of other than air diving. Once you have that done and after another 20-30 dives experiencing various problems or witnessing other divers having problems you are ready for courses like stress & rescue. One can always read about panic ect. but when you actually experience it your self, you are forced to ask why it happened and how you could have prevented it. After all one of the best ways to prevent an OOA situation is to make sure you have air at your mouthpiece at the start. Not being sarcastic its real world. If you know how it hapened to you then you know what to look for with your buddy better and hopefully your buddy for you. Rescue comes in to play when all else has failed, for the most part. No course can effectivly teach you how to do pre-emptive strikes on at depth failures. Not till you see your share of dropped weight pockets, dangling tanks, abrasions, jelly fish stings, over and underweight situations ect can you appreciate the value of stress and rescue class. Go out and experience diving for some time so you can bring those experiences with you to follow on training.

Regards

I have nitrox also, sorry forgot to mention that.

I am with the others. Go dive!

Use the training you have now received to plan and execute dives without an instructor.

Dive for a year or so. That 50 dive suggestion is pretty good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom