confession: I hate giant stride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok - this is my confession - I hate the sensation of falling so the giant stride is not my friend. I understand the water will "catch" me, I understand my BCD has air in it that will stop me from sinking like a rock before I am ready to go under - but that feeling of falling between the dock and the water terrifies me. I don't jump off anything - not out of the back of my truck, not into my pool, not off my deck - I don't ride rollercoasters, I don't do anything that has my body going from a high place to a low place. Of course I did the giant stride for class, but still every time we plan to dive in a new place I stress about what the entry site is like - then I realized that they must also have an exit point so I can get in the water using that ladder rather than stride in. I recently read an article about a dive resort (in a place where they have great shore dives) and they mentioned that often they have guests who use the ladders rather than giant stride in off their docks -- so is this more common than I realize? Are there others out there who prefer to climb down to the water rather than jump in?

I remember "hating" the giant stride when I was a new diver. I never felt comfortable doing it until the first time I was asked to do a back-roll entry. I found the back-roll entry even more disconcerting than the giant stride. I'm fine with both of them now.

If you really dislike jumping, rolling, etc., there's always shore diving! But don't try the dive site known as "La Dania's Leap" in Bonaire.

And cleary THIS is not for you: heli-diving « Scuba Dive

Off a dock, I tend to use the ladder rather than giant stride. Not because I have a problem with falling, but rather due to uncertainty of what's underneath the water where I'd drop in, and especially how deep it is.

I don't have the issue, but have seen a few on boat dives that have gone down the ladder to the swim step and entered there. As long as it is cleared with the crew so you can be monitored, in case of an accident, they don't care how you get in the water. Depending on the configuration of the boat it may not be possible, but most of the ones I've been aboard in SoCal would not be a problem. Check with the guys up in Washington state, I think they have a dive boat with an elevator.

Good Luck

Bob

I have been on a couple of live aboard trips with a lady that has real back problems. The first she was a new diver and just toughed it out, hated every entry. In between trips she discussed it with her instructor and they worked out a plan where the boat crew tossed her gear in, she would get in and then donn her gear. It changed her entire outlook on diving.

Ok - this is my confession - I hate the sensation of falling so the giant stride is not my friend. I understand the water will "catch" me, I understand my BCD has air in it that will stop me from sinking like a rock before I am ready to go under - but that feeling of falling between the dock and the water terrifies me. I don't jump off anything - not out of the back of my truck, not into my pool, not off my deck - I don't ride rollercoasters, I don't do anything that has my body going from a high place to a low place. Of course I did the giant stride for class, but still every time we plan to dive in a new place I stress about what the entry site is like - then I realized that they must also have an exit point so I can get in the water using that ladder rather than stride in. I recently read an article about a dive resort (in a place where they have great shore dives) and they mentioned that often they have guests who use the ladders rather than giant stride in off their docks -- so is this more common than I realize? Are there others out there who prefer to climb down to the water rather than jump in?

Climbing down ladders with fins on is a night mare. When you exit the water using a ladder you typically have removed your fins, it's a rare dive that anyone is going to want to enter the water by climbing down a ladder with no fins and putting them on in the water.

Keep in mind giant strides don't have to be from 10 feet in the air. Typically they are used when their is a swim deck on the back of the boat, that deck is usually at or above water line by 6 inches. There are a lot of combinations of different boats and the boat you are on they typically choose the entry and exit that is easiest. If you have that rare giant stride that is from a height that makes you uncomfortable just tell them so and see if there is an alternative, which there typically is, but the majority of the time a giant stride is near water level and its just a simple 'poofy' entry.

I would imagine going down a ladder probably means without fins on (maybe not). Just make sure you don't drop negatively buoyant ones into deep water.

On smaller boats, you can just sit on the boat rail and go over backwards. I rather think you might not like that.

For a ladder entry, you would probably want to go down the ladder with just your mask on. Have someone hand you down the BCD and fins.

You our might learn to cope with the giant stride. On a surface interval, you could do repeated giant strides with just mask, fins and snorkel. Climb up the ladder and repeat. Without the gear on, one is far more nimble and you might feel more in control. Of course, it might not work.

As long as you go on boas with more service, you can avail yourself of that. Even in low service boats, I think if you offer a premium payment for more service, you should be ok.

But out even going down the ladder would be an issue in some places. In areas where they drif dive, they want everyone in the water ASAP so they can hit the reef.

I hate jumping off anything higher than chair.

The last dive I did that involved an entry from height was off a pier to put in a mooring for a yacht.

I stood at the edge and asked the yacht's owner to give me a good hard push. After the job was done I climbed back up the ladder and he asked if the push was to get me clear of the pier pilings and I said, "No, I was just sh*tting myself about the drop! Once I was off-balance with your push there was nothing I could do about it and was falling in regardless."

Some boats have fin on ladders. You can come up with or without the fins. So you could go lower on them.

If you wear a weight belt you do not want to go anywhere near the water without your BCD on.

There is an entry where you sit on the platform and sort of pivot out. But you have just as good or not better chance of hitting something especially if the water is rough.

Simplest answer is only dive on boats where the platform you step off of is close to the water. As noted on many boats it is only a few inches. You are not falling into the water. you are stepping out onto the water.

No matter what take a puff on the reg while looking at the gauge before you go to make sure the air is fully on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom