Stupid question? Why not an AI computer and Analog Pressure gauge in the same console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yellowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am fairly new to diving and on the advice of my open water instructor purchased a wrist computer and analog gauges. He said the wireless AI computers have too many problems and that in his opinion an analog pressure gauge is a necessary piece of diving gear. I am happy with my arrangement but have been wondering about the AI computer. My question is: would it be possible to make a 2 puck console that has an air integrated computer and an analog pressure gauge back up, using the same high pressure hose? Without understanding the engineering required to make such a tool it seems like it would make a diving gauge with the extra AI information and analog safety redundancy built in.

I am fairly new to diving and on the advice of my open water instructor purchased a wrist computer and analog gauges. He said the wireless AI computers have too many problems and that in his opinion an analog pressure gauge is a necessary piece of diving gear. I am happy with my arrangement but have been wondering about the AI computer. My question is: would it be possible to make a 2 puck console that has an air integrated computer and an analog pressure gauge back up, using the same high pressure hose? Without understanding the engineering required to make such a tool it seems like it would make a diving gauge with the extra AI information and analog safety redundancy built in.

If it's a single piece of gear... there isn't really any redundancy.

Did your instructor say what "too many problems" wireless AI computers have? With nearly 1,000 logged dives (plus a few hundred training dives) and I haven't had a problem yet. Yes, you'll hear a few folks say that had trouble linking, lost signal, etc. But those are far and away the exceptions.

Though, if I did have a problem with my AI computer I do have a brass-and-glass SPG on my hip and a bottom-timer/depth gauge on my other wrist as well. Since these are separate pieces of gear, there IS redundant.

You might be onto something... I suggest that instead of trying to run both off the same HP hose, hook the analog one to the end of the HP hose and put an AI computer in the second console slot. Then put the AI transducer in the second HP port on the first stage. Then you have both.

I do something similar on my single tank rig. I have a standard analog gauge on the end of a 22in HP hose. Then I also use a wrist mount AI computer with the transducer on the 2nd HP port. So I have the best of both worlds, the reliability of the heavy duty analog gauge and all the features of the AI computer.

If you run a wireless AI I would also put it on a 1st stage HP port and then run a hose off another to the console SPG. Personnelly I run a hosed AI on the left side and a SPG on a seperate hose to the right (I really want to know how much air I have left). I then run an octo inflator to reduce the number hoses.

You might be onto something... I suggest that instead of trying to run both off the same HP hose, hook the analog one to the end of the HP hose and put an AI computer in the second console slot. Then put the AI transducer in the second HP port on the first stage. Then you have both.

Note "Air Integrated" does not imply "wireless." In the OP's question... he seemed to be asking about non-wireless AI computer. Would seem to be silly to be a wireless AI computer into a console, no.

Note "Air Integrated" does not imply "wireless." In the OP's question... he seemed to be asking about non-wireless AI computer. Would seem to be silly to be a wireless AI computer into a console, no.

I hear ya...

I didn't see any practical way to split a single HP hose to feed two devices. My point was that there is a way to have two at the same time in the same console, which seemed to be the main interest. (If the main goal is redundancy, then in the same console is an option.) I assumed the OP had considered and rejected separate HP ports with devices on either side, which doesn't leave many options.

If it's a single piece of gear... there isn't really any redundancy.

Did your instructor say what "too many problems" wireless AI computers have? With nearly 1,000 logged dives (plus a few hundred training dives) and I haven't had a problem yet. Yes, you'll hear a few folks say that had trouble linking, lost signal, etc. But those are far and away the exceptions.

Though, if I did have a problem with my AI computer I do have a brass-and-glass SPG on my hip and a bottom-timer/depth gauge on my other wrist as well. Since these are separate pieces of gear, there IS redundant.

Serious question, did you use AI for all the 1000 dives? Also, did you use AI and SPG for them? What are the benefits for you of using AI? Thanks.

My question is: would it be possible to make a 2 puck console that has an air integrated computer and an analog pressure gauge back up, using the same high pressure hose?
Doubt it. There's likely not enough room inside the console to add a "t" plus route the 2nd hose to the gauge. Puck style computers and gauges fit pretty tight.

Also it's not true redundancy - if the hose burst/plugged up (it's a pretty small opening in an HP port - you don't have any backup way to tell your remaining air. Not that you wouldn't immediately abort the dive and surface but it's nice to know you'll have the air to do so - and maybe hit a safety stop along the way.

A better approach seems to be a wrist mount AI with transmitter and a backup spg on a hose. My buddy dives that configuration. Get a small brass/glass spg on a short hose and tuck it somewhere - you don't really need it unless the AI fails or you suspect it's wrong. I use the Scubapro mini-gauges - Tusa and someone else also sell a set. That gives you both pressure and depth should the computer stop working.

There are two camps for wireless AI computers. The more conservative recommendation is for a wireless AI computer to have an analog back up in case of signal loss from the transmitter to the console. Also, in the event of computer malfunction you can still dive with the analog back up. The other consensus is that the wireless computer should be as dependable as any other of your gear with proper care so that using an analog gauge is not necessary.

I tend to fall into the latter category but on a recent dive trip to Maui my dive computer wouldn't work. I still had the analog SPG so I was still able to dive with a borrowed timing device and tables. If I had a wireless AI computer then I would have sat out the dives because I would not have had a way to monitor tank pressure. The stupid computer had new batteries too. I'm not sure if it got bumped in the bag and the setting button was depressed by accident. I took it to the LDS to get checked out and by then it was working fine according to them.

If you are using a console AI computer then you should have a separate hose for the SPG. If there is a problem with the hose or connection then it will affect both computer and SPG if connected to the same console and won't give you the back up you are looking for in the first place.

Serious question, did you use AI for all the 1000 dives? Also, did you use AI and SPG for them? What are the benefits for you of using AI? Thanks.

Wireless AI on probably 95% of them. I use AI + SPG/Bottom Timer on any dive where I'm diving doubles: SPG on left post, Wireless on right post, manifold open.

I'm thinking of using both wireless and SPG when teaching (I'm a new instructor) so that students can clearly see me checking my SPG at key points during the dive. I figure they won't pick up on me glancing down at my wrist every once in a while, but if I make a show of a "demonstration quality" check of my SPG... that it might rub off on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom