Aow course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockystock1

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm stuck on a question my teacher has given me

Explain how to determine if your equipment is suitable for deep diving??

Besides the condition and the service what else goes into this answer??

Rocky

What is the primary difference between a deep dive and a shallow dive, other than the distance to the surface? What impact will that have on the dive? What does that mean for the stuff you have with you when diving?

Is your cylinder size suitable for the dive?
Will you have proper exposure protection?
Will your regulator perform well enough? Balanced first stage would be recommended.
Is your alternate sufficient? A detuned alternate might not be the best choice at 130'
Good idea to have a back up depth and timing device. (second computer)
Do you have a dive light?
Emergency alternate air? Either carried with or hanging at 15'

First aid and emergency o2 could be a good idea to have at hand.

Thank u ken and Keith just shows me how much I have to learn..

Rocky

---------- Post added October 16th, 2014 at 09:15 PM ----------

Why would you carry extra weight for a deep dive,, the deeper you are the less buoyant
I would say you need less weight

Rocky

Are you currently taking the AOW course?

All of the answers are in the book.

I recall that question from the PADI Deep Diver course. The "correct answer according to the gospel of PADI" is in my book. Unfortunately, the book is not at my disposal at the moment, or I'd be glad to let you know. As you're probably discovering, the answer that PADI (or whatever agency you're taking the course from) says is the answer is not always in line with other equally reasonable sources. What your instructor wants from you is the answer that your agency says is the answer.

Thank you lorenzoid, our instructor has taken our books to see what we have learnt.. He has typed up a 20 question quizz for us and I'm enjoying looking on the net for the answers I don't know..

Rocky

---------- Post added October 16th, 2014 at 09:23 PM ----------

Yes aow btw

Rocky

Why would you carry extra weight for a deep dive,, the deeper you are the less buoyant
I would say you need less weight

Rocky

The AOW manual says ""It's common to want just a bit more weight to help you stay at safety stop depth at the end of the dive."

EDITORIALZATION: I'm not sure that I completely understand why they think you should be overweighted on a deep dive, unless perhaps they are thinking a greater margin of error considering:

• Higher absolute risk of DCS on a deeper dive
  • Higher likelihood that you may breathe your tank down lower than usual, resulting in you being lighter than usual at the end of the dive.

The manual further suggests these extra weights be clipped off, or in a mesh bag, on the ascent line at safety stop depth in case you need them. Further supporting the idea that this extra weight is not actually "extra" but rather "in case you underweighted yourself."

Either way, you certainly do not want LESS weight.

Proper weighting will allow you to hold a safety stop with a near-empty tank at the end of your dive; if you had LESS weight you would be too buoyant at the end of the dive. If you are using a thicker wetsuit - in anticipation of colder water at depth - you'll obviously need more lead than with a thinner wetsuit.

Remember - no matter how deep the dive is... you will begin and end the dive in SHALLOW water. You'll need enough weight to allow you and your suit to descend at the beginning of the dive... and to hold a stop at the end.

Are you currently taking the AOW course?

All of the answers are in the book...

Agreed. Unfortunately, the complete and technically correct answer is not likely what they are looking for. I think it is great that Rocky is researching the answer, but he probably should to stick to the book for the answer the instructor wants to hear. :wink:

Even the definition of a deep dive is highly variable in the real world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom