Scuba Diving Volunteer Programs for Highschoolers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My school requires we do some sort of community service (aka a job without pay), and I really want to do some sort of community service through scuba diving, since I would like to give back to the community that has given me so much. I live in New York City, but am willing to travel anywhere (preferably during the month of August in 2015) in order to use my Scuba skills to do some volunteer work. I've already looked into the New York aquarium, but they only take people 21 and over. So does anybody know any good volunteer programs I could do, that are scuba diving related?

Some info: I'm a junior in highschool, and will (hopefully) be a certified NAUI Master Diver by the end of July. I already have my Rescue Diver certification and my Advanced diver certification.

Almost everyplace I know requires their volunteers to be 18. There must be a Venture Crew in NYC that dives? In Tampa is the TRUE (Teen Research Underwater Explorers), and Key West has SCUBAnauts, both programs for teenage volunteers involving scuba. Have you attended a Sea Gypsies meeting and asked around?

Almost everyplace I know requires their volunteers to be 18. There must be a Venture Crew in NYC that dives? In Tampa is the TRUE (Teen Research Underwater Explorers), and Key West has SCUBAnauts, both programs for teenage volunteers involving scuba. Have you attended a Sea Gypsies meeting and asked around?
Thanks for the feedback, no I haven't looked into any of these groups since I didn't know about them, but I will look into the now! Also, yeah I've found that most places require you to be 18 or 21, I'm guessing it's a legal matter.

You might also contact local dive stores to see if there any "beach" cleanups planned for your time frame.

Wow, thanks for all the helpful replies. I googled looking for volunteer programs that had to do with diving for teens, but only some certification camps came up. Thanks for all the help.

Do you have any nearby lakes? Maybe on LI. My scuba club does at least one "clean the lake" dive every year. Also check with lake associations. I volunteer at Brant Lake for milfoil remediation diving (too far for you to travel but maybe you can find something reasonably close). Also, there is nothing to prevent you from getting a buddy and doing a clean the lake or shore or beach on your own. It's still comunity service even if it's not under some official organization.

Do you have any nearby lakes? Maybe on LI. My scuba club does at least one "clean the lake" dive every year. Also check with lake associations. I volunteer at Brant Lake for milfoil remediation diving (too far for you to travel but maybe you can find something reasonably close). Also, there is nothing to prevent you from getting a buddy and doing a clean the lake or shore or beach on your own. It's still comunity service even if it's not under some official organization.
Good idea

Back
Top Bottom