choosing a lobster snare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedgehog47

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Lobster Noose Stainless Steel | MAKO Spearguns

MLNSS-2.jpg

MAKO Spearguns Lobster Noose - Stainless Steel

Built for professional lobster hunters, the MAKO Spearguns Heavy Duty, Stainless Steel, Lobster Noose is unlike any other Lobster Noose available in the USA.

It features an all stainless steel tubing construction for unmatched strength and durability. Additionally, the noose itself is made of 100% stainless steel cable instead of monofilament cord that can rot and break.

The same lobster noose is used by commercial lobster hunters in Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. And now, MAKO Spearguns is proud to make this noose available here in the USA.

The spring loaded noose is a one hand operation with lightning fast closure.

This is a heavy duty robust lobster noose that will contract down to 41" for easy travel.

The lobster noose is so heavy duty that if you drop them, the current will not take them away like the plastic type nooses.

And, because we sell direct to you, the diver, you can get this heavy duty, all stainless steel noose (including stainless steel cable) for about the same price as a plastic noose.

NOTE: This is not your typical lobster tool like the ones made for recreational use. This is a heavy duty lobster tool made specifically for commercial Lobster divers in New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. You will be amazed with the quality and durability of this commercially used tool.

I have the green one, but it wasn't my first snare. My first one was a pvc rod with plastic cord. For the life of me I couldn't catch lobster with it. The green one has a metallic cord and I find it much easier to use. I have 2 buddies with the trigger snare. One of them doesn't use it because he doesn't need to and the other one is so bad at catching lobster that it doesn't matter.

Save your money, get the green one, and practice.

Geez... you guys in Florida use snares? C'mon, your lobsters don't even have claws.

Come to NJ, where the lobsters fight back... and we use our hands.

STEELwreck_big_lobsters3.jpg

Last edited:
Geez... you guys in Florida use snares? C'mon, your lobsters don't even have claws.

Come to NJ, where the lobsters fight back... and we use our hands.

STEELwreck_big_lobsters3.jpg

Those Lobsters are MUCH easier to catch than Florida lobsters...They taste better too.

Hands are no contest the most successful tool in Nj. I've seen guys in Florida favor the snare, due the sharp spines as well as the Florida lobsters much, much faster speed (compared to northern bugs). If your really proficient with snare it can be very useful, but too often I see people muck it up by taking too long to set up "perfectly".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carribean and nordern lobsters, not the same beast. The first one is more tricky than the other

The Equalizer is a neat concept, but it's a garage project. Having rebuilt one, it doesn't look reliable at all. It's made with PVC tubes, aluminum rod, surgical tubing and screws/rivets. My buddy found one underwater while we were diving. On that same dive, he broke it. The PVC tubing cracked. The aluminum rod was bent. When I took it apart the crimps on the surgical tubing popped off. I went to Home Depot, bought all the parts and rebuilt the snare. There's conceptual problems with the snare as well, but since I haven't used it yet, I won't pass judgment on it.

The green snare is great. Fiberglass housing, steel cable and a reverse stop mechanism. It used to be my go to snare as well as most snare users.

I currently use a home made version of the snickle stick. It's just crimped weed wacker line on the end of an aluminum tickle stick. I find that the lobster can't feel the plastic line, giving me more room for error in looping it and allows for 1 handed operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom