Expectations on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnaber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve read tons of threads about tipping and I don’t want to start a conservation about how much $$ to tip, but rather what do you expect as a standard/baseline service from the dive operator and crew on a dive boat? And at what point would you consider service over and above from the crew? I’m a some-what new diver I trying to form an expectation of what I should receive from the crew as standard and or over-the-top service. And then I’ll feel good about how I’m tipping.

Thanks

What is "standard" on a dive boat varies from place to place, so for example what is common on NC boats isn't the same as what is common in the FL Keys. For example, in some places it is standard for the crew to put your tanks in place for you on the boat and help you set up your gear, while in other places you are expected to carry your tanks onto the boat and set up your gear. In some places it is standard for a divemaster/guide to be in the water with the group, while in other places you are expected to dive without a guide but often have the option of hiring one as a private guide. In most places, the crew will help you to one extent or another while you get back on the boat after a dive, such as taking your fins if you hand your fins to a crew member while you climb up the ladder.

Do you have a particular place in mind? A particular dive operator? Services can even vary among dive operators. Some are bare-bones, while others are known for "valet service" where they attempt to take care of your every need.

Avoiding the question of how much should a "baseline" tip be, I will say that I tip that baseline amount almost every time. The only time I can remember tipping extra was when I jumped in and lost a fin because I had adjusted one fin properly but not the other, and the crew helped me fix that problem by digging out a tool and adjusting the other fin while I waited there by the ladder. It's that sort of extra attention--assisting me with some personal problem--that would cause me to tip more than the baseline.

In "warm water pretty fish" dives of the World, I give extra points to DMs who wear their "naturalist" hat unless they need to change into a cape for Superhero stuff. (Something of which I do not depend or expect)

A good Naturalist DM. Bonus!

A "boatsman" who will assist you in getting back on-board without breaking your arm or any piece of his dive deck.

A "boatsman" is not the Captain/Driver, he is not the in-water DM, he's holding that title when he is transitioning you to and from your seat on the bench. An overlooked skill set, sometimes hard for him to perform by most diver's having the "I'll do this myself, don't touch me or my stuff" attitude. After many years of diving, I have learned to accept any out stretched hand. I have no shame. And, I appreciate humane acts, sometimes with tipping money.

In other countries, I always use cash, but I try to bring everyone a pocket knife, all the way up to a Leatherman tool. Make their day.

What to expect? Here is what I would expect.

1. A safe, well maintained vessel with the proper safety equipment. Ask to see it. Know where the Oxygen is, know where the PFD's are ask to see it if they don't show you where it is.
2. A briefing on what to expect in case of a problem. How do they recall the divers, you should know this, and they should tell you, also what channel is the emergency channel on the radio, they need to tell you this just in case.
3. A good briefing on the site you are going to dive. How deep, which direction things to look for, current? They should know these things and brief you on them.
4. If they want to help set up your gear, let them know if you want this or not. Don't be rude about it.
5. If you are in a marine park, often (if not always IDK) they will be required to go in the water with you, as a group. A lot of people don't like this, know before you go.
6. Other than those things you need to know before you go what they provide that way you will not be disappointed and know what to expect. Call them and ask them what they provide, base your decision on who to go with after you talk to them. Generally the problems I read about or have experienced have to do with an expectation that wasn't met. Most of the time communication prior to going out will avoid problems.

1,2, and 3 above.
#4? No, keep your hands off of my gear. You'll risk losing any tip if you touch my stuff. This is why I will book in advance to make sure it does not happen and avoid ops and places where this is the custom.
#5? No. Stay on the boat where you can be useful in an emergency to everyone. If I want a guide I will hire my own locally. Most times I want to plan my own dive and see what I want to see. Not what you want me to.

Other than that know that I will call or email weeks or even months in advance to confirm details, services, policies, etc. That way other than weather or change in ownership there are no surprises. If I show up and things are changed just because they could be I will do my best to find another op and not use yours.

If all of these are met the crew is likely to get a very generous tip. Extra stuff like tip me off to the x,y,or z that might be in a spot that you did not tell anyone else about, allow me to be first in last out without giving me crap, and don't expect me to buddy up with someone just because I'm an instructor, let me dive solo and look the other way and you'll get an extra tip when I shake your hand and pass it to you without letting the rest of the crew know.

Did you read what I wrote?

If you don't want the messing with your stuff tell them, the onus is on you to research it and make sure they understand you don't want your gear touched.

If you don't want a guide, which is required in the marine parks I have been to, then you need to go somewhere else. It is generally a law that states that you must have a guide. No reason to be a PITA about it, just go somewhere else. That is why I said to contact them and ask the question before you go there. No sense in making a scene, cause problems and screw somebody's vacation up, find out and stay away if that is the case.

1,2, and 3 above.
#4? No, keep your hands off of my gear. You'll risk losing any tip if you touch my stuff. This is why I will book in advance to make sure it does not happen and avoid ops and places where this is the custom.
#5? No. Stay on the boat where you can be useful in an emergency to everyone. If I want a guide I will hire my own locally. Most times I want to plan my own dive and see what I want to see. Not what you want me to.

Other than that know that I will call or email weeks or even months in advance to confirm details, services, policies, etc. That way other than weather or change in ownership there are no surprises. If I show up and things are changed just because they could be I will do my best to find another op and not use yours.

If all of these are met the crew is likely to get a very generous tip. Extra stuff like tip me off to the x,y,or z that might be in a spot that you did not tell anyone else about, allow me to be first in last out without giving me crap, and don't expect me to buddy up with someone just because I'm an instructor, let me dive solo and look the other way and you'll get an extra tip when I shake your hand and pass it to you without letting the rest of the crew know.

What about this was not clear?

"Other than that know that I will call or email weeks or even months in advance to confirm details, services, policies, etc. That way other than weather or change in ownership there are no surprises. If I show up and things are changed just because they could be I will do my best to find another op and not use yours."

It isn't hard to pick up the phone and call them. You can almost be assured that if you are diving in a marine park there will be a guide. They have rules and regulations to live by, if you come in and break their rules they may lose their job. If you don't like them, go somewhere else. I for one don't need somebody getting an attitude and crapping in the sandbox when I have done my research and know what to expect. If you are not sure what the rules are and they don't answer your emails then scratch them off the list and go somewhere else. If they won't answer your email then it wouldn't be hard to skip them and find someone who will. What part of that is hard to understand?

I didn't even have to put in in bold red to make the point.

"Other than that know that I will call or email weeks or even months in advance to confirm details, services, policies, etc. That way other than weather or change in ownership there are no surprises. If I show up and things are changed just because they could be I will do my best to find another op and not use yours."

So Jim... do you specifically tell the crew on the boat that day? Not clear from your post; its sound like you call a month ahead and then either hope for the best... or actually hope that someone touches your gear so that you can "catch them" and thus have the opportunity to huff and puff about it.

As someone who's crewed on a boat for years, I can assure that you simply need to tell the crew - when you come aboard - that you'd prefer to handle your gear yourself.

I expect full tanks that won't upset my CO or O2 analyzers, and that the taxi people generally stay out of my way both topside and below. Other than that, I'm cool with whatever.

Back
Top Bottom