Gravity Sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dan 28

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey everyone. I Fractured my Calcaneal (heel bone) at work when I fell 13 feet off a trailer. The ER Dr said it was the worst bone I could break and it was also the worse break hes ever seen. Its shattered and will be needing surgery. Does anyone know what sort of recovery time I'm looking at?
Funny thing was, as I was falling I thought the water will slow me down...then I heard the crack. I guess my head went to a happy place knowing this was going to hurt.

Not knowing anything about your medical history, I'd warn you to expect at least six months of limitations, and if you are older, maybe more. The calcaneus IS a bad bone to break and hard to put back together properly -- if you can possibly find someone who specializes in doing such operations, it would be wise. I know of someone in Seattle, but that may not be an option :)

I'm in Oklahoma, I'm 39 and in pretty good shape. I have a follow up appointment but was just wondering. Six months! This is not good.

The calcaneus was the only bone in my foot that didn't break when my right leg/foot was hit by a car going 70+mph while I was jumping out of the way.
Took me almost 4 months to get back to work, I was 56 at the time. Good luck

Come on guys what's the good news

My mate at work broke his heel and was out for 4 months, when he came back to work he was office bound for a few months.. Bad break brother :(

Rocky

Good news is that the dive season is winding down for most of us in the northern hemisphere, so at least you won't miss too much. You should be healed just in time for next season!! :D

Don't let them put you on crutches or in a wheel chair! Go for a knee scooter! The are fast, infinitely easier than crutches and will restore your mobility. I used this during two Achilles Tendon surgeries. I even traveled to Moscow less than a month after surgery.

DML_780.jpg

PeteRedSquare.JPG

As an important caveat, I AM NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR. I fix sick Networks and servers. I speak only from my experience with ankle surgery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom