Ow course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockystock1

Contributor
Reaction score
Confined dive 5 tommorow, I get to take my bcd off and on again in 12ft of water.
I'm actually exited for this one, fly this and I'm off to carpenwray quarry next Saturday :))

Rocky

You will do great!. Remember, it is not a race. No extra point for speed. Just relax, breath, and do the skill slow and smooth...just like every other skill. Have fun!

If you are doing a PADI course, remember that you are allowed "minimal assistance from a buddy" in the redon. In cold water, some of the smaller straps can be quite hard to do with thick gloves, and are much easier for someone who can see them. I'm thinking of my own OW class, and trying desperately to get that darned chest strap refastened! (Maybe that's part of the reason why I ended up with a BC with only ONE big, metal buckle to manage :) )

Oh and don't let go of the kit. Holding onto the kit by the mouthpiece of your reg with your teeth, is well, quite entertaining. :0)

Ha ha,, I don't think I will need buddy, I've been practicing in the living room..(no tank) to my wife's amusement, and I can don n doff quite easly, unlike anyone else In my class I have purchased my own kit so practice makes perfect :)

Rocky

TS & M, I didn't know a buddy could assist minimumly. Makes sense. This was my worst skill and actually held up my DM cert. What helped was being very forceful when returning the tank behind my back to get the left arm back in. You be the boss, not the tank, which wants to "drift". There are a lot of steps in this skill. I have seen OW students at times do this perfectly first try. I get jealous.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 03:58 PM ----------

Ha ha,, I don't think I will need buddy, I've been practicing in the living room..(no tank) to my wife's amusement, and I can don n doff quite easly, unlike anyone else In my class I have purchased my own kit so practice makes perfect :)

Rocky

Excellent idea. I mentally go over all the skills in my house once weekly. This helps immensley as I usually don't DM courses between Nov. and July inclusive.

Nothing says it has to be limited to the buddy either. I might end up with a hand on a shoulder to keep the student from drifting or separating too much from the gear.

"Remove, replace, adjust and secure the scuba kit with minimal assistance in water too deep in which to stand, without losing control of buoyancy, body position and depth."

If you are doing a PADI course, remember that you are allowed "minimal assistance from a buddy" in the redon. In cold water, some of the smaller straps can be quite hard to do with thick gloves, and are much easier for someone who can see them. I'm thinking of my own OW class, and trying desperately to get that darned chest strap refastened! (Maybe that's part of the reason why I ended up with a BC with only ONE big, metal buckle to manage :) )

Nothing better than gear removal in The cold water here in Seattle :)

Back
Top Bottom