How many of you like to free dive and scuba, can it become dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got into scuba a year ago. I love the water I still surf and free dive once in a while. But now I am scuba diving once or twice a week. Since I am diving regularly I am not sure it is OK to just go free dive when I think its clear at my surf break. Sometimes I would just take along my fins and mask and if it got flat I would just go out for a little hunt.

I want to know from those who enjoy both sports if there are any risks in this type of activity since I am now scuba diving more regularly.
Has anyone experienced any problems because they were doing both of these activities? Thanks in advance.

The general consensus is that you should't freedive after SCUBA, as this can provoke a DCS hit.

If so much time has elapsed after your last dive on compressed gas that your computer has cleared the no-fly symbol, I wouldn't worry, though.

PS: Here's an earlier thread on the topic.

Last edited:
+1 to the above technical answer, certainly directly on point to the OP: Free Diving.

But as a side note to most newer divers who still are reading & wondering...

If, on a surface interval, you have the overpowering urge to flop-in with mask and snorkel, there doesn't seem to be any harm in doing what most snorkelers (vs. "Free divers") are really doing. Stay shallow, float on the waves, enjoy the warm surface temps, gawk at the fish. Most of us divers who switch to "snorkel" aren't going beyond 10', if even a couple of times.

Free Diving has a different connotation than Snorkeling, and indeed most of us really only engage in mere tourist "norklin".

Now, please pardon the interruption, back to real-deal Free Diving discussion :wink:

I gave up free diving decades ago and only do SCUBA. I've known several free divers who have died while enjoying their activity. Latest death was of a SCUBA instructor who had spent the day on SCUBA and went in to retrieve his float anchor in a depth of about 30 ft. He died on that free descent.

I gave up free diving decades ago and only do SCUBA. I've known several free divers who have died while enjoying their activity. Latest death was of a SCUBA instructor who had spent the day on SCUBA and went in to retrieve his float anchor in a depth of about 30 ft. He died on that free descent.

Interesting. I assume he kept his airway open ascending. Do you know if his death was a result of DCS?, super fast ascent, etc.?

As per my post in the donating air to a freediver thread, I was taught to scuba dive by one of the UK's top freediving coaches. There are loads of people at my club who do both. Many scuba divers have done the AIDA ** course because the breath control and relaxation techniques are believed to help scuba divers with their SAC rates.

As others have said, freediving after scuba is not a good idea though.

I am one that does both. Of course, I don't mix scuba and "deeper" free dives on the same day. At the most I may snorkel during the SI.

I often freedive and scuba on the same day. However, I freedive FIRST and then scuba. I try to remember that I have some residual nitrogen from the "norkolen", so I do a little extra hang if I come close to the limits when scuba diving.

Can you elaborate on what would cause his death while descending just 30 feet. I am not clear on this, or did you mean ascent from 30 feet.

My biggest mistake while freediving is trying to take a breath from my reg, only to realize it's my snorkel!
I won't do both on the same day, get my mind clear as to what I am doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom