Backup SPG for console AI Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmrangel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all
Pretty new diver, going on about 10 dives and in the middle of my AOW. I have been using a mares Icon HD computer but will be selling it soon because I recently switched to a AI console computer (Oceanic PP3) because of the huge numbers (in my mid 50's). When I had the wireless AI, I felt the need for a backup SPG/depth given the info I had seen about the link not always working (I never had a problem) but now I am wondering if I need it with hose based AI computer?? Looking to get rid of some hoses, too much stuff.

Thanks

Hose based AIs are very reliable. As is the Mares Icon on single tank recreational dives.

You could use a backup mechanical spg but I don't see that being necessary in recreational diving as if there is a failure you should be able to abort the dive and reach surface without too much grief. A backup depth gauge/bottom timer is however a good idea... You can use the mares icon in gauge mode for that.

second what Dan says. The AI problem requiring backup SPG is due to the wireless link. The only real way for yours to fail is due to a dead battery, otherwise it is just a digital pressure gauge instead of analog. At your diving level redundant depth is probably not needed either since you'll be buddy diving you can use their computer/depth gauge for ascent rates

As above, I would not worry about it with a hose'd AI computer. Hell, on recreational dives I don't worry about it with my wireless AI computer.

My wife and I started out with well-known AI consoles on hoses. They were great, until they failed. Now we dive with their warranty replacements, PLUS a wrist-mounted computer of the same brand/algorithm, and an SPG. Since then, we've both had battery failures (new batteries) or flooding of battery compartment of the wrist units, but both consoles continue to work. Go figure. But either way, we dive with full redundancy, and have never thumbed or canceled a dive or trip. And since all of our diving is after long distance travel at a big price, that's a good thing. I wouldn't dive any other way.

My wife and I started out with well-known AI consoles on hoses. They were great, until they failed. Now we dive with their warranty replacements, PLUS a wrist-mounted computer of the same brand/algorithm, and an SPG. Since then, we've both had battery failures (new batteries) or flooding of battery compartment of the wrist units, but both consoles continue to work. Go figure. But either way, we dive with full redundancy, and have never thumbed or canceled a dive or trip. And since all of our diving is after long distance travel at a big price, that's a good thing. I wouldn't dive any other way.

So are you diving with 2 hp hoses - 1 for the AI console and 1 for the SPG?

Flooding of battery compartments / battery failures (without knowing which computer or much info at all) sounds like user error- either not ensuring o-rings are in place, not closing the compartment properly or installing battery backwards... The only negative to user replaceable batteries is the "user" aspect. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom