padi or naui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cokeman

Reaction score
which one is better or does it truely matter????
please help me in my future decision, i would hate to start
out on the wrong fin.:jester:

both good courses from what I can see. some small differences. we went PADI but I'm sure you will here from the NAUI crowd. I think the biggest thing is to find an instructor you like and trust. good luck and welcome

You ask me if you ask a NAUI you would get somthing differnt.I think from I've seen PADI has much better lititure. IMO...

Welcome from North Texas. Congrats on a great start in diving. (Your asking questions here)

I'm PADI certified, but from what I have learned it makes really no difference. Like RR said, the instructor means more than what agency he/she teaches

For basic recreational diving, they'll both keep ya alive :wink: :D . Stay away from their "tech" programs though (deep air :upset: ).

Mike

Cokeman,

Welcome to the board. Head over to the introductions and greets section, tell us about yourself and let the board welcome you properly.

I agree with the rest. There are some instructors that I would take a class from no matter what agency they were with and some that I wouldn't have as a dive buddy. Talk to the instructors that will be teaching the courses. If you can talk to others that have used them and get thier views on the instructors and make your decision based on your impressions of them not on which agency they are with.

Above all try to find someone who wants to help you learn and is not just interested in churning out some more students.

After you are certified let us know. I like to head to Mermet Springs in Metropolis IL sometimes maybe we could dive together.

Good luck and if you have any more questions ask the board. This is the best collection of knowledgable divers around.

Chad

Originally posted by cokeman
which one is better or does it truely matter????
please help me in my future decision, i would hate to start
out on the wrong fin.:jester:

Why, SSI of course!

In your area -

Scuba Diving Schools of America
4 S 100 Rt. 59 Unit 14
Naperville IL 60563
Email Larry2Dive@aol.com
Phone 630-551-0455
Fax 630-551-0231

Underseas Scuba Center, Inc.
611 N. Addison Road
Villa Park IL 60181
Email scuba@underseas.com
Web Site http://www.underseas.com
Phone 630-833-8383
Fax 630-833-8381

Rick

What do you want out of your course?

There are big differences between agencies, but even within the same agency there are big differences between what different instructors teach.

If you get an instructor who teaches exactly what his agency requires and nothing more the NAUI course will be more complete. You'll be better prepared for when things go wrong. The PADI course will be faster and easier. What do you want out of the course?

I personally prefer YMCA over either PADI or NAUI, but it is possible to get an excellent course from any agency if you do your work in wisely choosing a class. Which agency should play a part in your decision, but not an overpowering part. Check out the New Diver section of Diverlink http://diverlink.com/newdiver/ there's lots of information you can use to choose a course. Sections you'll find are: A Guide For the Would Be Diver, Before Certification, Which Certification Agency to Choose, Comparison of Agency Standards, How to Choose a Diving Instructor and others.

There's more to the issue than which agency and it's up to you to get the most out of your class by doing some leg work ahead of time and by doing your best while in the class.

DSSW,

WWW™

Hi and Welcome!!

Check out your local shops. See which one you like the best. Some will go out of their way to help you. Others just want to make a sale. See if you like one better than the others. The instructor is more important than which agency. Who do you feel comfortable with?

My wife and I travel 60 miles to our favorite shop for training and equipment. The people at this shop are more helpful than any others I've met in our area. There are 4 shops within 20 minutes from my house. There are things I don't like about each of them. I only go to them for last minute little things and/or airfills.

Our training has been with SSI(me) and SDI(my wife) in the Bahamas, and with NAUI (both of us and our son) in Western NY.

Keep us posted, let us know who you go with and how your training goes.:)

SSI, PADI, NAUI, YMCA- all are solid programs. In agreement with many of the above posts; find a reputable instructor. That can make the difference between "taking a course" and starting a future of learning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom