Music

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockystock1

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a device which makes it possible to listen to music under water??

Rocky

I'm looking for something especially for scuba divers, which incldes MP3 player and can go to at least 30mtrs

Rocky

As much as I love music, I have to ask why?

My thoughts as well. I mean this as nicely as possible. If you're my dive buddy, the first time I can't get your attention (hopefully not an OOA), I'll rip that thing off and hope your head's still in it. Before you say you'll kick my a**, I carry a BFK and know how to use it. :D

Meant with humor, but at this stage of your diving, you really don't need the task loading. Good diving.

(possible offtopic rant)

I find it fascinating that canned music has become almost ubiquitous these days. Wherever I go, some 80% of the people surrounding me are wearing earplugs and are apparently listening to something. Yes, I'm guilty as h€ll myself, I listen to the radio on my cellphone on every bus commute. And I have about a thousand music albums at home, on vinyl, CD and harddisk, and I listen to some of that almost daily.

However, when it comes to wearing earplugs while in the wild, I just can't understand why. When I'm out in the nature, I want to experience nature fully, though all my five senses. I don't understand why someone would like to listen to canned music instead of the birds and the animals I encounter. I love the (relative) silence underwater; no-one can talk to me, and the only sound I hear is my own bubbles. To me, that's an almost Zen-like experience and adds to my love of the underwater world. Jacques-Yves Cousteau even used that feature in one of his books ("The Silent World", well worth a read or three).

I guess I'm showing my age here, but I'd recommend the OP to at least try to actively experience the lack of sound - at least sound which we are able to hear - underwater. It might well be a rewarding experience.

Good advice bel,, and well put :)

Rocky

:) Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was given. After I re-read it, it felt a bit harsh. I do understand the desire for good tunes while imersing yourself in such an all encompassing environment. A little Pink Floyd (dating myself) as I'm swimming over the edge of Bloddy Bay Wall would be the "cherry on top." But, there is so much going on to be attuned to starting out, and the more you dive the more you have to fight off the urge to be complacent. I guess if you were a wildly experienced tech diver hanging on long deco stops it might come in handy, but even then I would assume they might still have a lot on their plate (don't know...not a wildly experienced tech diver). Maybe a better solution would be to find a dive buddy with a really good singing voice.:D I've heard humming a tune can improve your SAC by helping to control your breathing.

You gotta do something on that hour long deco stop, right?

Back
Top Bottom