Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockystock1

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new diver just about to qualify ow and then do aow.
I have purchased all of my own gear with just two things left (regulator and drysuit)

I have been saving my pennies and I'm in the market for a brand new reg, looking on the internet shops like scuba wear house and deep blue dive there is lots to choose from. I'm drawn to the scuba pro mk25 just because it looks the bussiness, and is one of the most expensive so it must be good right?? What is the best reg for newish divers in coldish water??

Thank you :)

Rocky

Rocky

Lots of answers, firstly decide if you're comfortable buying online vs local dive shop. Getting them serviced every year or two can be a big factor. Up until recently, buy the best you could afford was a common phrase. However, there are some great regs out the that aren't at the top of the price point. There are three regs I recommend for cold water diving (30deg F or Warmer), and they are AquaLung Titan/legend, Apeks DS4/xtx 50 and HOG regs. All environmentally sealed and great for cold water. Price wise it's hard to beat the HOGs, service wise it's hard to beat the Als and performance wise hard to beat Apeks. Checkout diverightin scuba for good deals and great service, also good deals around Black Friday. More than likely you get a very good set of regs no matter what you choose. Best of luck!

If you ever intend on doing your cold water diving in ice, seeing how you're getting drysuit and live in cold climate, think about a cold water reg that won't freeze on you. Not sure if reg you mentioned falls in this category ( i think it might be but can't be sure and too lazy to double check). I purchased a Sherwood Blizzard just for this reason although I'm not geared for ice diving but someday. Also make sure you get a reg that your LDS is certified to repair. PITA if you have to ship it out...

Rocky, I'm using a 15 year old ScubaPro MK10+/250. I chose this one because half of the divers on the boat I was going out on at the time had it. (I upgraded from the Sherwood Brut). The + supposedly means it is good for cold water. When I go for service, I was told to remind them I dive cold, it has something to do with grease they put in the first stage.

The coldest water I've been in is 39F, although I don't do that anymore.

I haven't been disappointed, and I have it rebuilt every year. At the time, the 250 was one of their lower cost models.

I don't think the most expensive is necessarily the best by any means. The regulators I use now are all much cheaper than the ones I used before, and I don't have any problems with them. (I am purposely not throwing out names because I think what I am saying applies to a lot of regulators.) I do think that if you are planning to dive cold water, you should have a cold water regulator.

The dry suit purchase is an important one. You can get good ones used for a small price, but you want to make sure it is a good fit and has some of the features you like. For example, I was on a three day dive trip to with a group of students, and on the first day one of them tore the neck seal on his dry suit. It looked like his weekend was shot, since he had to send it in for repair. Fortunately, I had on a whim thrown my old dry suit in the van as a spare, and it fit him. In contrast, I was on a similar trip and my wrist seal tore while I was putting it on. It took me no more than 5 minutes to replace it myself. Any dry suit I ever buy will have seals that can be replaced on the spot.

Thank you john, I'm looking at a drysuit from seaskin, you can drive there and have a made to measure for £800, I've purchased a 7mm semi dry but I can't say I like it (it's almost impossible to don n doff) it will do for my quals in carpenwray

Rocky

This will serve you well and are a bargain at £230: Apeks ATX40 DS4 & ATX 40 Octopus by Apeks - DiveLife

Apeks regs are excellent quality, excellent value for money and loads of people use them in the UK.

Divelife is an excellent online retailer and they have a very good shop in Manchester, just off junction 17 of the M60, if you are ever passing. Fortunately I only live 15 minutes from them; I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying them - either online or in person.

Thank you john, I'm looking at a drysuit from seaskin, you can drive there and have a made to measure for £800, I've purchased a 7mm semi dry but I can't say I like it (it's almost impossible to don n doff) it will do for my quals in carpenwray

Rocky

£800? Is that with an undersuit? Mine came in at around £600 and I didn't scrimp on options.

Back
Top Bottom