Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockystock1

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm watching sharknado on tv, great movie and it got me thinking, if diving and come across an aggressive shark like a great white, what's the best action to take??

Swim away? Stay still? Thump it on the nose? Cut my buddy's leg n swim off??

Has anyone had experiences with aggressive sea animals? And what did they do?

Mike

misunderstood-shark-2.jpg

If the shark is eating your friend's face while on top of a building you can get it to stop with a taser. If it is chasing your friend up a few flights of stairs you might be able to stop it with an axe. Extra long chainsaws can be useful for shark defense if you encounter one flying down the street.

Sharks are not afraid of bubbles I've seen on you tube

Mike

---------- Post added October 31st, 2014 at 10:02 PM ----------

If a shark attacks you in your car a shot gun is handy :)

Mike

Before worrying about sharks while diving, go do some research of how many people are attacked by sharks every year, then how many of them are on scuba and next how many of them are not on the surface. I think you'll find that unless you poke it with an angrystick you're pretty safe...

I'm not worried about sharks tigerman, I live in Uk, diving with the hammerheads at Darwin's arch is on my bucketlist.. I was just wondering what the correct thing to do is..

Mike

Yup, stuff like the picture posted above are usually the result of someone deliberately dropping chopped up and bloody fish into the water (chumming). It attracts sharks and gets the excited for a meal. As long as you don't have dead/bleeding fish attached to you you're fairly safe. Heck even spearfisherman with bloody fish usually don't get injured - the sharks just take the speared fish.

I would worry more about if my buddy was a capable diver than a shark attack.

The chance a shark encounter is so low it doesn't even register for most divers....the chance of a shark attack is like getting hit by lightning twice in the same day when it's not raining and you're indoors on Christmas day at the Vatican.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom