Deco time needed for diving the Titanic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mangoconchile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Today I was trying to convince a coworker to try diving and mentioned to him I was diving a local wreck this weekend in 100ft. He jokingly mentioned he wanted to dive the Titanic and after both googling it we found it sits in 12,000ft depth. He also asked me what the world record was for the deepest dive and such and it got me thinking...assuming someone linked together several tanks from the surface all the way to the floor would it even be possible? And if so what would the deco time look like? And if its not possible what the deepest someone could go?

I believe Bob Ballard has done that one already.

Yes I already know the record for deepest dive, I sent him an article with pictures and he took several tanks down with him which is what made us think of this...

Impossible on scuba. Closest you could get is if atmospheric diving suit technology advances that far (right now they only go a little past 2,000 ft) but that's not diving so much as just being inside a human-sized submarine.

Don't listen to the naysayers about making this open circuit dive.
It can be done.
I have no idea what the mix might be, but I am guessing no 02, no nitrogen, and no helium.
I think the real issue in deco is that you would die of old age before being able to surface.

Chug
laughing.

What is the obsession with going stupid deep on scuba??

This dive is in comparison to flying to the moon in a g6 small aircraft

Mike

Last edited:
Ok PADI "Titanic basic tecreational distinctive specialty" is now available for $100 Eurodollars or PADI ebuckx or 3 cases of Guinness beer payable to me not sanctioned but of course valid to a degree of unofficiality of .0001% to me.

Impossible without a rigid container exposure system like a submarine. But as a thought experiment:
First off you need tanks that can hold greater pressure than 380 bars and a second stage capable to deliver 380 bars per breath,
that, in extension, means you uses 5*380 l air on each breath ( 1900 liter of air) on the bottom, that means ,when we take in account the depths of decostops and so on that you need to carry 20411037.9 liters of air, if you dive with tanks that can hold 450 bars that means you need to have access to 45357 liters of compressed air, lets say you dive this as a square profile with a bottom time of 5min, descend rate of 10 meter per min and an ascent rate of 9 meter per min, making the total dive time, excluding the insane deco stops, to a 13.45 hour dive. The decostops required for this theoretical dive is, according to v-planner, a total of 14856 hours ( 619 days ~ 1.7 years) whit a total of 980 deco stops, this is assuming you are using air, and nitrox 31 as deco gas. Of course you can't do this dive on air, to avoid oxygen toxicity syndrome, you need to dive with a mixture containing no more than 0.4% oxygen, and to avoid getting the king of all narc you need to have 0% nitrogen in your breathing gas leaving you whit a heliox mix of 0.4% o2 and 99.6% He, and my best guess is that breathing 99.6% He at 381 bars pressure opens up a whole new set of physiological effects. Of course this doesn't matter since, even if you can avoid oxtox and passing out from being super-narced, have OC equipment that can deliver the pressure needed and withstand the outer pressure of those depths, you will be killed either by the pressure of those depths or by one or more of the effects, from the long list of physiological effects you will encounter long before you even see the bottom, if you somehow survives all this, 1.7 years submerged in salt water is probably not good for you, even in a drysuit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom