Emergency whistle - where/how to stow it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
So, being the paranoid low-risk type, I got myself a safety whistle quite early in my diving career. Never needed it - at least not yet! - but it takes hardly any space at all, so why not?

Problem is, I still haven't found a good place for it. Clipped to the wetnotes, as the seller suggests? Don't carry wetnotes, just a wrist slate. On a cave line leash in my pocket? The leash gets in a mess and tangles with the other stuff I have in my pocket. Leash coiled up on the whistle, clipped to my harness? Gets loose and falls off every. frikkin'. time. and starts dangling from the leash, causing an entanglement risk. Right now, I've decided to try to clip it below one of the rubber bands on my inflator hose, so we'll see how that goes.

Other ideas I can try, fail and be frustrated from? :wink:

I extended the cord on mine and attached it to a D-ring on my shoulder (I wear a wing) I have a Shoulder pad on each side (thin neoprene) and tuck the whistle in there. The cord just has to be long enough for me to get to the whistle My whistle is the tertiary device as I also have a small air horn fitted onto my LPI and finally I carry a nautilus radio for offshore diving - I also had to buy a marine VHF handheld radio to leave on the dive boat as marine radios aren't used here.

The S.O.P. I have followed for decades is tie wrapped to the corrugated hose in whatever buoyancy device you implement. Lower -to- middle so it can be put in your mouth, but not so low as to interfere with the LPI.

The S.O.P. I have followed for decades is tie wrapped to the corrugated hose in whatever buoyancy device you implement. Lower -to- middle so it can be put in your mouth, but not so low as to interfere with the LPI.

^This

Diving wet I keep one in a thigh pocket, clipped off with a double ender. I don't like clipping off/attaching kit to my rig. Two pockets hold plenty of bits. Whistle is very small. I've never needed it, but have confidence I could deploy it quickly. The Halcyon pockets have a smaller pocket on the flap. I keep it in that pocket, on the left leg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same as this

---------- Post added November 9th, 2014 at 06:32 PM ----------

I extended the cord on mine and attached it to a D-ring on my shoulder (I wear a wing) I have a Shoulder pad on each side (thin neoprene) and tuck the whistle in there. The cord just has to be long enough for me to get to the whistle My whistle is the tertiary device as I also have a small air horn fitted onto my LPI and finally I carry a nautilus radio for offshore diving - I also had to buy a marine VHF handheld radio to leave on the dive boat as marine radios aren't used here.

Radios in this part of the world can be illegal, I know Ken Atkinson uses them on his boat and usually lends me one when I dive solo from it.

Air horns can be useful if you are close enough, a whistle IMHO is practically useless, try it and see if the crew on a boat with engines running can hear you. A brightly coloured SMB is much more useful.

That is the best way I have ever seen.

a whistle IMHO is practically useless, try it and see if the crew on a boat with engines running can hear you. A brightly coloured SMB is much more useful.
My primary "signaling device" is a sausage, which I carry more or less on every dive. I'm just thinking a whistle is better than shouting if people aren't looking at you :)

I keep a whistle (tied off to a small clip) clipped to the ring at the base of my SMB. I guess it could be an entanglement issue shooting at depth, but I've never had a problem with it. I figured it's convienient having it floating on the surface with me since I'm not gonna' blow it underwater and it keeps my signaling devices in one neat little package. Maybe that's a negative if I lose my SMB I've also lost my whistle, but that hasn't happened either. Might require more thought. I'm not a big fan of clipping stuff off (independently) to my rig either, if I don't have to.

I will add another "yup" to the chorus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom