Where Are Your Arms When You Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been trying to get used to the "delta position," as I feel more balanced with my arms out, and like being able to quickly check wrist comp/compass, or use my hands quickly if needed--but I don't feel relaxed at all in the position, with my shoulders especially rigid and tight.

What arm positions do you all prefer in the water?

Relaxed and my thumbs stuck into the top of the cummerbund of the BC.

No camera unless you master buoyancy, trim etc. That's how I feel at least.

For me, either hand in hand with myself, both hands forward, like this on the left. Or in some kind of "plane" position with both arms out and elbows bent 90° like this one here

It depends a bit on what I am doing. If i am descending My left arm is out, usually with the left hand circling the anchor line but not really holding it unless there is a current. I usually descend horizontal. My right crosses over and holds the inflator. To give a few squirts of air as we go down. We are probably going down to 80-90 ft. Once at depth I slowly swim with my arms in close to the body with a camera in the right hand. When actively in photo taking mode the camera is out and ready. Left goes out a bit for balance. If I am approaching an area where I expect to have to go up/down some my left hand will again be on the inflator in order to either add air or dump a bit of air with a tug.

Note that I often dive with a small pony slung on the left. It is instinctual but when I have the pony the left arm stays in closer than the right for balance purposes.

When I stop, it is automatic but my body assumes a position that is most stable for what I am doing and given the gear I am using be it my own or rental. This includes not only the arm position but also the legs. Legs can be put up or straight. Parallel or somewhat splayed. All of this can be used to move your center of mass and also make rotation harder or easier as needed.

For me, either hand in hand with myself, both hands forward, like this on the left. Or in some kind of "plane" position with both arms out and elbows bent 90° like this one here
Me too. The more I dive, the more in the last postion. It took me a while to get comfortable in this position however. You really need to work on your trim before you can relax in this position. It did not feel natural for me at first. Big advantage is when having a cable light and checking instruments while inflating/deflating at the same time ;-)

My arms with my hands attached are along my sides like I was walking except they are motionless. I remember some Club Med guy back in the 70's telling me the correct way to dive is with your hands together on your chest. I laughed then and laugh now at people that think there is some "correct" way to position your hands when diving. Be comfortable and enjoy diving. Use your hands when you need them and don't worry what some indoctrinated fool thinks is the "right" way to position your hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom