Mask skirt repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuckRimfire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Other than painfully tight children's masks, I have found exactly one mask design of all I've ever seen that fits me without leaking (Tusa Splendive II, also bought the same mask once (and lost it) with an Oceanic brand stamp on it). I should order a spare, because the one I have now has a small (about 2 mm square) notch in the edge of the skirt right under my nose.

Is there anything that works well for this kind of repair? A dab of silicone sealant? Duct tape? Silicone plus duct tape?!? :dork2:

I've always heard nothing will stick to silicone, and so far I haven't been able to disprove that.

Silicone will stick to silicone not as strong as new but it might do the trick, if at all possible sand the skirt first might help.

Is your face real narrow?
The best mask that fits my narrow face ran under several names:
DiveRite Stowaway, Mares Samuari, Cressi SuperOcchio, Omer Abyss.

Might be an alternative if you decided to try something new.
Nothing you can really do to fix a silicone skirt other than heat melting the silicone and trying to mend the skirt that way.
A heat pen perhaps?
But keep in mind doing that will also screw with the original shape of the skirt where you mend.

You could perhaps use a silicone mask strap and melt that onto your tear and perhaps that goop will be hot enough to seal the two pieces together.
Will have to be very dexterous to flatten the inside goop though before it cools and hardens.

Other than painfully tight children's masks, I have found exactly one mask design of all I've ever seen that fits me without leaking (Tusa Splendive II, also bought the same mask once (and lost it) with an Oceanic brand stamp on it). I should order a spare, because the one I have now has a small (about 2 mm square) notch in the edge of the skirt right under my nose.

Is there anything that works well for this kind of repair? A dab of silicone sealant? Duct tape? Silicone plus duct tape?!? :dork2:

The only answer is scissors. If you have a rip or tear propagating from the edge inward, you need to cut out the sides of the rip and flatten out the missing piece, cut a chunk out so you have a smooth arc remaining. It may preserve enough of the skirt. I have done this several times when cock roaches have eaten sharp cuts in the skirt under my nose. why do they only eat the mask there?

Dive Rite uses the same or very similar mold as the Tusa splendive II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
db032b017db71c90699c4a96fb386ce4.jpg

Try the Tusa Ceos. Should fit the same. Better silicone, softer. Conforms to smile lines easier.
Current model also.
Same lenses, I believe the skirt is from the same mold.

i use a scubapro frameless low volume. same one for the last 5 years.

my 7 year old uses it too. tighten the straps, and away he go's.

i suggest you branch out and look at other masks.

Back
Top Bottom