How much will a BC self inflate in checked luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

never mind... :D

How will it self inflate if it's not hooked up to anything? There will be an atmospheric drop in the hold that may allow some expansion but in a tightly packed bag the BC should not be affected. If you're really worried unscrew one of the dump valves.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2014 at 09:44 PM ----------

Less ambient pressure means any air put in at sea level in a closed flexible container will expand as the ambient pressure drops. Unless the plane crashes and drops to the bottom of the ocean. Then it will get smaller.

Just wondered. One time I had a deflated football in a carry on bag and it inflated itself and squashed my sandwich. That was in the cabin so I figure the unpressurized cargo hold must be worse.

Just wondered. One time I had a deflated football in a carry on bag and it inflated itself and squashed my sandwich. That was in the cabin so I figure the unpressurized cargo hold must be worse.
My understanding is that cargo holds typically are pressurized. Think pets and other cargo that could be damaged by extreme pressure reduction. afaik the fuselage is the pressure vessel, and cargo holds are inside the fuselage.

^^^ for the win! That made me laugh!

Most commercial aircraft today are pressurized to about 8,000 feet (you feel like you are at that altitude). Reason they do't like you drinking to much 1 drink is equal to about 1.5. An the reason you should not fly 24 hours after diving. An yes the BCD will expand. Try this next time you fly. Open one of those bottles of water they give you at altitude then seal it and look at it after you land

Most commercial aircraft today are pressurized to about 8,000 feet (you feel like you are at that altitude). Reason they do't like you drinking to much 1 drink is equal to about 1.5.

Also higher altitudes tend to be hard on fluffy your pet dog in the hold. . .

Back
Top Bottom