Maybe strange question? Sinking legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joyinthewater

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been diving in cold water with a 7ml quite a bit.
I have a trip to Fiji scheduled and I'm super excited. :)
but I'm noticing that I'm missing the wet suit buoyancy affecting my trim, crazy as that sounds. I really like a horizontal trim in the water with my legs slightly higher than my head. Without the neoprene, if I am resting and still, my legs sink.
Not a huge deal but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this and found a solution?
Thanks!

I would look at your tank and your weight positioning.

It sounds to me like you need to move the center of gravity a little higher.

Not a strange question. After going to a Lavacore suit instead of a 3mm full suit my legs sink and I don't like it . I put as much weight as I can in my trim pockets but I think I need to strap weights to the top of my tank.

Make sure you are really weighted properly. Sounds to me like you might actually be over weighted. LavaCore isn't as buoyant (it's very close to neutral) and doesn't require as much weight as you are used to. The difference between 7 mil and LavaCore is quite a few pounds, about 10% of your body weight. Drop a little weight and I bet you will find your trim evening out like you're used to.

Also, keep your arms in front of you and consider a lighter fin if that's an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure you are really weighted properly. Sounds to me like you might actually be over weighted. LavaCore isn't as buoyant (it's very close to neutral) and doesn't require as much weight as you are used to. The difference between 7 mil and LavaCore is quite a few pounds, about 10% of your body weight. Drop a little weight and I bet you will find your trim evening out like you're used to.

Going from a 3 mil (not 7 Mil) to a Lavacore I wasn't able to take off as much weight as I had hoped. It was enough to make it so I had more weight in my trim pockets than down lower, but my feet still sink. Yes I can put my feet up over my legs to compensate but don't like to do that all the time.

Thanks for the input! I will play around with these suggestions.
Maybe too, it's unreasonable to expect my legs to float without a little added Bouyancy...
that is what one instructor told me.

Lots of great tips here on how your weighted and adjusting, but something as simple as fin choice can cause your legs to sink or to float. You may wanna check into some fins that are neutrally/positively buoyant. E

Enjoy Your Trip!

You could try shifting some weight onto the top of the tanks with a trim pouch and second tank band too. I was trimming into "dying cockroach" pose with my drysuit until I moved some weight off my waist to high up on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom