Weighting in a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bazzer69

Registered
Reaction score
When changing from a new 7mm wetsuit to a drysuit what change in weights do you think I will.need? My drysuit is a DUI 50/50 with zip gloves
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly what maxbottomtime said. It depends on the undergarment and wetsuit. I added quite a bit more weight when going to dry suit from 7mm. I think I added around 10#. Unless you have multiple undergarments (which is the proper way to do it) you may also end up adding a couple lbs for extra air when the water gets colder. I usually add 2# when the water hits the 30s.

When diving dry I use... a variable ammount of lead depending on what undergarment I wear and what other items I may bring...
The only way to know is to do a proper weight check.. with each configuration of gear...

As everyone else has said, it depends a lot on the specific unit, especially the undergarments. For me in cool water (over 60° F), the amount of weight I need is comparable to a 7mm wet suit. As the undergarment gets fluffier in cooler water, my need for weight grows. I just got a new suit, and I am finding a need a little more weight than the old one.

I think a lot of people significantly overweight themselves in dry suits. They have to be putting a lot of gas in their suits to balance out the weights I hear people using.

I would start with the same and adjust from there. I use a little less weight with my drysuit than a 7mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When using a DUI FLX and 300 undergarment, it was suggested to me that I wear 6 lbs more, and it was perfect. The others in my group in the demo were also told to add 6 lbs and everyone seemed perfectly weighted. YMMV.

The only way you are going to know is to get in a pool and determine the difference between the wet and dry suit. The size of the suit is moot cause teh amount of buoyant material on a 5mm suit on a 400 pound person is more than a 12mm suit is on twiggy. I use a tls350 and with my 300g polerstretch undies I need 38# to get me in the suit under water. I need 19# when i wear the 100g polerstretch jump suit. My harveys 3mm farmer john wet suit needs 19# also. My 3/2 shorty needs 6#. In short i done know if anyone can give you an answer. There are too many variables to be accurate.

Of cause better to do proper weight check. Just FYI from my (250 lb) logbook.
From 1mm wet suit to dry suit with DryBase I add 12 lb.
From DryBase to Xerotherm I add 4lb more.

+ 4 lbs with 7mm to Whites fusion and undergarmet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom