Closed SMB depoyment with medium pressure hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freewillow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anybody give me advice or better advice + Video links on how to deploy a large smb +/- 18 kg (40 pounds ) of volume with a medium pressure line :cool2:. I do dive in wet suit / warm water :kiss2:. So no drysuit hose. Only the BCD inflator . Should I mount a specific extra one? Risk andantage of using the BCD inflator ( I am not sure, I like the idea :no: ). What in which hands..................... Thanks :kiss2:

Instructor friend of mine uses his dry suit inflator hose when diving wet to inflate his SMB, not sure what he does when he dives dry though.

Can anybody give me advice or better advice + Video links on how to deploy a large smb +/- 18 kg (40 pounds ) of volume with a medium pressure line :cool2:. I do dive in wet suit / warm water :kiss2:. So no drysuit hose. Only the BCD inflator . Should I mount a specific extra one? Risk andantage of using the BCD inflator ( I am not sure, I like the idea :no: ). What in which hands..................... Thanks :kiss2:

There are videos showing how to inflate using an alternate second stage, however anything you do will take practice.

Also, never forget that it's a big bag full of air. If you screw up and get tangled, you'll be going up fast unlessyou have a buddy ready with a cutting tool.

There are bags that come with their own small tank, which sounds like a really good idea. Just open the valve and it goes. I don't have one, but will probably switch to it when my current bags get too old and crusty.

flots.

PS. You said "closed". If you send up a closed bag without an OPV from depth with too much air, it won't be closed by the time it reaches the surface.

I can show you how NOT to do it..

[video=youtube_share;gl4YR3lhmyU]http://youtu.be/gl4YR3lhmyU?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

Thanks, yes I have seen several videos with second stage used for open or semi-closed SMB's, but no one with a pressure hose. I am specifically interested in learning how to do it with a spool and two hands :). When I say a closed SMB I think I am using the appropriate term. By closed, I mean an SMB that, of course, has an OPV , like you have on most BCD's of course. :wink:

best off to orally inflate since the inflator hose should be short enough to be really irritating to inflate and smb and if you're doing it from depth you don't need to fill it that much. I.e. from 30 ft you only have to get it about half full to be really full at the surface, deeper you go the easier it is. Otherwise if you want to inflate it via hose, then just stick a drysuit hose on there and you'll be good to go. Make sure it has an opv otherwise you could be in for a big surprise at the surface....

best off to orally inflate since the inflator hose should be short enough to be really irritating to inflate and smb and if you're doing it from depth you don't need to fill it that much. I.e. from 30 ft you only have to get it about half full to be really full at the surface, deeper you go the easier it is. Otherwise if you want to inflate it via hose, then just stick a drysuit hose on there and you'll be good to go. Make sure it has an opv otherwise you could be in for a big surprise at the surface....

The bags with a DS hose fitting make me extremely nervous, since they sometimes stick when they get corroded or contaminated. I really don't want to go up with the bag. If I use the DS hose, I use it with the "blower" attachment. Also I never send it up solo. (no need anyway, since I dive with a float when solo)

I inflate mine by breathing out into it. Rob bouy.jpg

A buddy has one with a small cylinder attached to it. Open the valve and ... POOF! instant launching.

R..

Thank you Dumpster diver. I remember I have seen it before and had a good laugh about it :wink:. I do not think that I would take the risk, like you did, and used this technique during a night dive. :wink:. CAn you clarify what the Air 2 hose actually is. Not familliar with the term. You finished the launch the right way but one cannot see what you are doing. Can you insert the appropriate hose in the SMB with only one hand while the other is holding the spool. In which case which hand does what? Please clarify.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2014 at 04:41 PM ----------

Yes I understand you all with the business of oral inflation. That would be my choice @ significant depth. But the marker contains like 5 gallons of air in order to 18 kg of lift. So the volum is equivalent of 5 to 6 FULL lung expirations. Most of the time, one launches a parachute, in recreational diving, at depth of 30 feet or less. So one FULL expiration @ 30 feet this leave me with an SMB one third inflated at the surface :(. Am I doing the math incorrectly.?

Can one specify what the "blower attachment" is? Thanks

Yes I understand you all with the business of oral inflation. That would be my choice @ significant depth. But the marker contains like 5 gallons of air in order to 18 kg of lift. So the volum is equivalent of 5 to 6 FULL lung expirations. Most of the time, one launches a parachute, in recreational diving, at depth of 30 feet or less. So one FULL expiration @ 30 feet this leave me with an SMB one third inflated at the surface :(. Am I doing the math incorrectly.?

In the picture I launched the blob van 5m and it had "enough" air in it that even with all that gear I could hang on it. It takes a little practice but you can get 2 or 3 exhales mostly into the bag before you have to let it go. You don't have to let it go the first time you exhale.

To be honest, the one my buddy uses with the little air cylinder is really good. Always full regardless of depth and dead easy to deploy.

Can one specify what the "blower attachment" is? Thanks

It's like one of those little air guns you use for cleaning stuff except it has an attachment on it so you can click it onto an LP hose. They're handy for cleaning computers but I've never actually taken it underwater with me. :)

https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/diveshop/images/sonar/sonar_air_blower_gun_az-01.png

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom