Vehicle Tank Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Militant83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone have experience with the two below tank racks. I'm wanting to use them for transport in the bed of my truck to and from dive locations. I initially wanted to go with something like the anti roll system mounted to the front of my bed, however my diesel truck has a stack in the front of the bed and I would not want tanks being that close to the stack as it puts off a good amount of heat on long trips.

I like this one but it looks like the tanks fit somewhat loose in the rack and may shift and bang around some.

Pelican 6 Tank Rack at Divers Direct

This one looks like a good option and breaks down for easy storage when not in use.

The Scuba Tank Rack | Scuba Tank Holders | Best Scuba Tank Storage

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Those look decent. How many tanks are you trying to haul around? I personally use foam with half moons cut into them that my tanks ride in. I can get 6 to ride across the bed of my truck on my 11 hour drives to cave country.

The "dish drainer" rack from Pelican looks like a good shop item, or a work organizer for a filling station.

The TankRack cutouts look good, but I would want some real tie-downs.

Ideally, the cylinders should be tightly secured to the rack, and the rack itself should be held in place by tie-downs that will keep the rack and all of the cylinders in the vehicle in the rare event that gravity changes direction briefly: running over a mattress, dropping into a drainage ditch during a moment of inattention or drowsiness, hitting a curb, bottoming out in a dip, getting rear-ended at a red light by someone who is texting, etc.

Oxygen under pressure is especially dangerous. Will you be transporting deco gases like pure O2 or 50/50?

Thank you for trying to make highways safer for everyone.

That dish drainer does not look too deep. It seems like the cylinders would be rocking, rolling and clanking quite a bit. You'd want to anchor the thing in place securely.

I built low provide cradles for ours. The second link has some item is along the same lines. For the money a sheet of 3/4 plywood and incidental hardware is looking pretty good. I would opt for a design that shields the valve and locks the cylinder in place.

I use this for transporting up to three tanks, works well to and from my LDS for filling purposes

On my dive trips I usually have gear boxes on top of the tanks and use some ratchet tie downs to keep all in place

I have a full size truck. I put my 2 tanks bottom end up against the front wall of the box. I then strap the 2 together to a tie down hook bolted to the box. The tanks do not move. I use steel 120s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom