Advice for boarding in choppy sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DownDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going out to dive in the keys tomorrow and know it will be windy, am curious if any care to offer their advice/best practices for boarding post dive in choppy or turbulent seas. Thanks!

Be sure that the ladder above you is clear of divers. Time your approach to the ladder with the swells, and commit.

Listen to the crew. They know the best way on and off the boat, they've done it a million times. If they want you to take your fins off, take them off. If they want them on, leave them on. Time the ladder so that when the boat stops heaving, you scramble up quick like a bunny. The boat has a natural rolling period, and the waves have a period also. When the boat and the waves are in sync, the boat will heave like a ... Well, it will heave a lot. When the boat and the waves are out of sync, you will get a few seconds of calm to scramble up the ladder. Be sure to pay attention to the crew, so if they give you the high sign, you come right away.

It might be tempting to start by putting your feet on the bottom rung of the ladder. However, I have found that, depending on the depth of that rung, you may find that the boat will be rocking up and down while you will remain relatively stationary in the water. This is because you are still in the water and essentially weightless while the boat is bobbing up and down in the water. This causes the ladder, for lack of a better description, to act like a jig saw in front of you and you run the risk of having it hit you. Instead, I like to try to quickly get my feet on the middle rungs of the ladder and hoist at least some of my body out of the water. Any part of you that is out of the water adds to your negative buoyancy. This weight and pressure will be transmitted to your feet and you will have a very strong foothold on the ladder. More importantly, you will move with the boat, as opposed to having the ladder bob up and down in front of you. The important thing here is to try to get some of your body out of the water so your footing becomes solid.

I have also been on boats that in sporty seas elect to toss a knotted line with buoy out for divers to grab onto to remove fins and pull to boat for boarding.

Take your fins off--after getting tag line secure in hands &/close to the ladder--then 'run' an arm thru/?under each strap so they will secure onto each forearm---leaving your hands free while climbing up the ladder................There's also the 'ditching' your tank/BC before climbing up ladder & giving it to someone on the boat------IF--- the fantail's not far out the water--------also the same 'ditching' of your weight belt(IF--- you're wearing one)...ie get as 'light as possible' & free your hands as much as you can----some of those ladders can/will kill you in 4 to 6 foot seas----if you don't give them some(a lot of) respect.......The boat owner/captain should have a plan for all this------just be sure & listen carefully-----------AND-------wear/bring a SMB(with a reel?) so you can be spotted(easier) in case you miss the line & go 'a drifting'/45 minute floats are not too much fun in ruff seas:)..........good luck......

Last edited:
I have seen many people get slammed and fall off the ladder when they try to climb it very quickly. Most people (who really need help with this) are NOT particularly strong and can not scramble up a ladder, after being tired and while wearing 75 lbs of gear. Women, with their reduced arm strength are at a relative disadvantage too.

MY advice was always to watch the ladder for a few moments. Try to understand the timing of it. When the ladder is going down, you need to grab the top and slam your feet down on the lower or bottom rung. Then STAND UP! That is the most important part, get your weight on your feet with your knees locked! People can not hang on a ladder with their arms strength, they will get striped off when the ladder lifts them and they will smash their chin on the ladder.

So.. grab the ladder and stand up as it is going down. Stand on it as it lifts you up.. THEN, when the ladder goes down again, you should try to take a step or two up the ladder as you are partially submerged. Being partially submerged, provides some buoyancy and makes it easier to climb... but again.. climb with your weight on your legs.

Take your time climbing, if it takes a few cycles of up and down to get up the ladder that is fine. Trying to rush and scramble up the ladder will make you fall, plus if you try to climb as it is lifting you, the inertia makes you heavier.

Also if you miss the initial grab on the ladder, back off for a moment and try to time the rhythm again. Sometimes you have to kinda make the grab totally blind because the ladder is going up and down in white foam and bubbles. Keep your arms outstretched, so the ladder can't come down on your head and kill you.

Also, this is important, if you begin to fall from the ladder, allow yourself to fall back into the water on your back. Struggling to hang on after you have lost your footing or a good hand hold can damage your shoulder, cause you to split your chin or worse.

Take your time to mount the ladder, STAND on the ladder before you climb and go slow.

Wookie knows what he is talking about. Pay attention to the pre-dive briefing, they should cover this. If not, ask.

But to add some useful stuff, keep your reg in your mouth and your mask on until you are fully up on the platform and stable. Don't crowd someone getting out of the water ahead of you. People fall off ladders in rough water, don't be the guy they land on.

This is all fantastic advice! Thanks, I'm feeling much more confident about tomorrow's dive. Though diver 85's 45 min float sounds awful; I have a 6 ft yellow SMB with reel strapped to my thigh to hopefully avoid that scenario!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom