Buddy checks - formal v. informal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Right out of OW training we get it hammered into our heads that you need to do a pre-dive buddy check before each and every dive. We parrot the BWRAF and face our buddies and go through the check list. Then somewhere along the way we still start checking our gear but not quite in such a formal manner. In fact, it's been several dives since I last did a formal buddy check with my daughter - who happens to be my normal dive buddy.

In my defense I've actually done most of the check list already. Since we usually are boat diving on vacation these days once we board the boat we start prepping our gear once we've been assigned a spot and as we start unpacking the dive back. BC's come out and get placed on the tanks. Tanks straps are checked for tightness at that time. The crew asks for how much weight we need for the dive and then gets placed into the weight integrated pockets of the BC. Regulators are placed on the tank and hoses attached to power inflators. Quick check for function and check PSI for air levels to ensure properly filled tanks. Once we arrive at the dive site, get our briefing, then start to get into our gear. I always recheck the tanks to make sure they are open and we both breath a few times on the regs to make sure they are working and then add air into the BC's for preparation for giant strides. Quick okay sign for my buddy and then we get into the water.

But we've not been in the habit recently of facing each other to go through our check list. I already know her BC releases, it hasn't changed since the last time we dove. There is no weight belt to check and unless a weight drops on the deck it should be in the weight pocket right were we put it last. SPG is registering our air pressure and tanks valves are in the open position. Regs and power inflator are checked with a few breaths and adding the air just before entry.

How many would still insist that we should get back into the habit of facing each other and do another BWRAF style buddy check, or did we just do one rather informally and that is and adequate if not informal buddy check.

Safety-wise you should always do the formal BWRAF, whether you are new to each other or long time buddies. This is what PADI teaches and what I support. Realistically this rarely happens, especially with familiar buddies. On the quite a few charters I've taken over 9 years, I can't recall ever seeing the formal BWRAF. I usually do an informal check with an instabuddy, especially making sure we know how to release each other's weights. I know there are some on SB who regardless of experience, always do the formal. When I finished Rescue Course, we noticed two divers onshore doing the formal check. Our instructor (now a CD) said that as Rescue Divers we should be aware that they are probably brand new divers, because they're doing the formal check. What does that say? I do a lot of solo diving myself, so I am my own buddy check. But once and a while eveyone misses something, so I do very much support BWRAF with buddy. I am fortunate that all of my solo diving is benign shore diving, so anything forgotten can be rectified in 3 feet of water. Remember that the buddy check is exactly that-- a check by other eyes. You're supposed to set everything right yourself. So ideally, you do everything right and then do BWRAF. It would be interesting to do a poll to see how many do the formal check.

How you do a check isn't important, as long as you do something and it is effective. I was taught the BWRAF thing on my PADI courses but when I did my Mod 1 CCR with an IANTD instructor, the method I was taught was the team sit down and each in turn work from right to left and describing what you are doing:

"On my right I have my O2 valve, which I have checked and is open. It drives a manual add and a solenoid which I have checked and are working. On my right wrist I have my backup computer and compass. In my right hand pocket I have a spare mask...blah...blah...blah"

The beauty of this method is you can be sat down as you do it and do not need to see your team members - you just need to hear each other. On a boat that is rolling about, the last thing I want to be doing is standing up to face my buddy and falling on my arse. This method works whatever type your rig is.

Do not omit the weight check just because you have integrated weights - they may still be there, but have you checked they are secure? Releases can get knocked when you are de-kitting or when others move about around your kit.

$Have you put your dive computer on?

Have you set your Nitrox mix?

Did you look at the SPG when taking that breath?

Got your fins?

$$Is that really your mask?

Things I have caught at the last minute after I thought I was all ready or in the case of $ discovered after I was in the water or in the case of $$ I discovered at the end of dive 2. Thought viz had dropped some. Really was I was wearing somebody elses yellow mask and not my presrcription one.

I always do a buddy check. My wife has had to turn my air on more than once. Make sure you check integrated weights.

I dive solo/same buddy 99+ percent of the time. For us it's air on, computer set and on, mask (defogger) and fins. Once he got irritated with my checks, especially when I asked air on. He went in for a solo dive that boat trip with the air off. No kidding. Thankfully he handled it no problem (or so he told me when he fessed up to the error) and he no longer gets irritated with that question. :D

Always do a buddy check. Complacency will either ruin a good dive or possibly even worse. My dive buddy and I learned the hard way. I forgot a safety sausage once and darned if I didn't end up really wishing I had it. Naturally, I always check my son when we dive together. Even if its quick and dirty, make sure you and your buddy have all of the safety gear you might need for the type of dive you are performing.

I don't do the BWRAF, and I don't physically check my buddy's gear. We do a head-to-toe equipment check, where each of us checks his own equipment as the checklist is read. I'm pretty adamant about doing it -- it doesn't take very long at all, and it's surprising how often we find something that isn't as it should be. Whether it's gas turned off or a failure to hook up the dry suit hose, it's better to find it on the boat or the shore than in the water.

I dive in a culture where this is supposed to be established procedure. I am often nonplussed and thoroughly annoyed at seeing it omitted.

We have become very informal, but we still do a quick final check just before we splash on every dive.

Sometimes it is as short as "you got air? weights? flippers? are you ready?" We make the assumption that we are each capable of kitting up correctly, but maybe not completely...

Failure to get a very quick YES response to any of these questions means we each take a breath (or 2) and relax for a AS LONG AS IT TAKES while the offender gets their act together.

A predive check happens well before the dive. This consists of doing a complete audible gear checklist witnessed by each other to ensure we have everything. It also includes checking octos as soon as the regulator is mounted on the tank. Same for checking backup lights and computers in BCD pocket, verifying whistle and sausage are in place, etc...

So maybe we are not that informal after all?

Back
Top Bottom