Has anyone used an Oceanic VTX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noone

Registered
Reaction score
I just started diving again and just recently received my Advanced rating through PADI. I now have a renewed interest in diving and am looking to upgrade my equipment. I currently use a console hooked up to a high pressure hose that has the separate bubble compass, dive computer (air only), and analog pressure gauge.

I am intrigued by the idea of going hoseless and am looking at a dive computer/transmitter combo. I like the concept of having a dive computer on my wrist that has the compass, pressure, and computer integrated all in one unit. I think I now prefer having everything on my wrist vs. having to hold a console and constantly grab it to monitor.

Are transmitters reliable? I am thinking about replacing the high pressure hose with the transmitter. My father, a long time, very experienced diver, says he prefers the analog pressure gauges and compasses. Is it advisable to have a rig with only the transmitter and computer?

Has anyone used the Oceanic VTX OLED unit and what is your opinion on its reliability and usability?

What other dive computer with compass/transmitter combos can you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I was also looking at getting a vtx but decided not to. if you look on oceanic website it states only 30 hours of bat life while diving when the oci not color or oled has a much higher bat life and can be used as a reg watch when not diving, and also has slightly more features. both around same price point.

I was also looking at getting a vtx but decided not to. if you look on oceanic website it states only 30 hours of bat life while diving when the oci not color or oled has a much higher bat life and can be used as a reg watch when not diving, and also has slightly more features. both around same price point.
Good info, thanks. I also have small wrists so an OCi would likely fit my wrist better as well.

I have been reading the Aeris A300CS thread, which I assume is the same thing as the VTX, and am a little disappointed in what I am perceiving as general bugginess and unreliability in the unit. The fact that a few are complaining that it's hard to see in shallow water, the transmitter unreliability, and most importantly, the fact that the battery seems to go from green to red with no warning really has me concerned.

Is the reliability of the OCi better?

Back
Top Bottom