Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

javajoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Starting my MSDT which includes these courses but wondering if I would be fine with what I have. Also are these courses recognized internationally? If not could I at least get a job In Thailand or the Philippines with this being a new instructor and all.

PSI Visual Cylinder Inspector, PSI Valve Repair Technician, PSI Eddy Current Technician,
PSI Oxygen Cylinder Cleaning Tech, DSAT Gas Blender, PADI Digital U/W Photography Instructor,
PADI Boat Specialty Instructor, PADI Equipment Specialty Instructor, Resort Practicum,
Resort Introduction to EVE, Resort Increase Your Earnings, Resort Increase Your Tips,
Resort Compressor Theory & Operations, PADI Wreck Instructor, PADI Enriched Air Instructor, PADI Deep Instructor, PADI Night Instructor,
PADI Underwater Navigator Instructor, DAN Oxygen First Aid Instructor, DAN Advanced Oxygen First Aid Instructor, DAN First Aid for
Hazardous Marine Life Instructor, DAN Neurological Assessment for Divers Instructor, DAN
AED Instructor

Right now I am an Emergency First Response Inst/CFCI, OWSI, and DAN Oxygen First Aid Provider. Got certified in 2007 in Boracay as AOW Padi but just recently became an Instructor an just wondering if all these additional certs are worth it ,and if they will help me get a leg up especially in places like resorts in Thailand and the Philippines.

I have to say that any course has some value however some have more and some have less. There maybe ops that those courses could be an advantage. Generally, the focus is on employability and profitability. The most popular courses are usually EANX, deep, night, wreck, photo/video etc. Those are the in demand courses that the tourists want and employers want you qualified for. Gas blending is handy as is VIP. But generally instructors teach and shop staff do retail/maintenance. Some smaller ops can use a versatile instructor. With your current CV you shouldn't have too many issues finding employment but it can be more about selling yourself than anything else. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I noticed on the Padi Pro site that many openings require MSDT or experience as an instructor. I hope the MSDT helps me get hired despite my lack of teaching experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom