Newer diver hoping to put some gear on the Christmas list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cej17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all!
It is the classic question, what should be the first gear I get as a newer diver. I have 10 dives under my belt and am headed down to Cozumel in January. What should be the first piece or two of equipment be that I ask Santa for? Also what brands/models would you suggest?
Cheers!

Edit: I already have fins, mask and snorkel!

Hi all! It is the classic question, what should be the first gear I get as a newer diver. I have 10 dives under my belt and am headed down to Cozumel in January. What should be the first piece or two of equipment be that I ask Santa for? Also what brands/models would you suggest? Cheers!

Exposure protection, mask and fins.

Whatever fits.

BRad

Assuming you already have personal gear, ie: mask, fins, etc. I would say a computer...then a BP/W :)

Awesome thanks! I've seen a lot about the Suunto Zoop, what do you think about that as a starter computer? Also trying to do some reserch on BP/W, what is the difference and benifits compared to a BCD?

As a new diver looking for advice, you've stumbled upon the right place. Here's an article we posted recently on selecting a BCD. Clicky

Wow I think we got a new record BP/W on the second reply! �� I would go regulator then computer. Take some time and try some different BC's and find one that works for you maybe something on the lighter side if you are only going to mostly vacation dive. I have to admit I use a BP/W for local cold water diving but a back inflate BC for travel just because it's lighter. As for brands regs I'm a AquaLung/Apeks guy and have several different Suunto computers and they all perform well.

Shearwater Petrel 2 computer.

Hoping to set the record for earliest Petrel recommendation!

I would also recommend a computer as an early purchase. It gives you control of your diving, even when in a group/being guided. The Zoop is a fine choice for the new diver and should last you many years unless you have aspirations to get in to technical diving asap.

Lol, you guys are funny. The OP will be a tech diver in no time :).

I bought some used regs and a back-inflate BC first, and a Mares Puck computer. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what kind of budget you have.

The order for me would probably be a computer (I'd still buy the Mares Puck, or maybe the slightly more expensive DG03 because you can do gas switches with it) https://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml.

After that I'd probably buy regs (HOG), just because I care that they are taken care of since I breath from them. Third would either be a wetsuit or BP/W. After that there's thousands of dollars of stuff you can buy :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom