Blackwater and Buddy Communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

videofly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son and I would like to explore some of the inlets on the Elizabeth River in Chesapeake, Virginia, that surround our house. The diving will be shallow, typically between five and thirty feet. Many of the inlets are large with a fair current and others go into more remote areas with reeds growing in them. The waters are heavily populated by fish and the shores have snakes. The water is rich in tannic acid and iron and is like dark tea or coffee with one to three foot visibility. When the mud is disturbed, visibility is reduced to zero, with or without lights. Each of us dive with Al80 tanks and 19 cu. ft. pony bottles with regulators on a necklace, both back mounted; Air II regulators on Scubapro BC's; spare masks; compasses; depth gauges; SPG's; computers; three knives, EMT shears; three lights; SMB's; a dive flag; and full wet suits with gloves.

My question is concerned with buddy communication and contact. Should we try to maintain physical contact or does anyone recommend using tethers? If tethers are used, what should they be made of, how long should they be, and how should they be attached without being an entanglement problem? Or are there other recommendations? I have dived in similar waters on Long Island, NY, years ago and now, we are surrounded by water and we would love to do some exploring.

I dive in Zeeland (Netherlands) were visibility can be very limited and currents pretty strong, so it is paramount not loosing your buddy.

It is common practice (if not mandatory) to use a buddy line (tether) for each buddy pair.
The line is 2 meters and has a small float in the middle to prevent it for dragging on the bottom and getting entangled. We attach it to the wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My wife and I use a dog leash. Can be clipped or slipped over wrist.

It is common practice (if not mandatory) to use a buddy line (tether) for each buddy pair.
The line is 2 meters and has a small float in the middle to prevent it for dragging on the bottom and getting entangled. We attach it to the wrist.
The buddy line is an old concept, although around here it's optitional and hardly anyone uses one.

The one we have in our club has a ring on each end, and the users just slip the ring over their wrist. That way, you're not tied to your buddy if he has a runaway ascent. I've been told that this is standard practice.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

We have made something for a join line but the worry about getting free if needed was a big issue. We found that a bull snap was the answer. No matter how much pressure there is on it, it wont release until you want it to. It will release easily when you want it to no matter how much tension is on it.

That said, we have not yet found the need to use them.

I used to dive with my son in similarly challenging conditions. We would use shoulder to shoulder bump contact. If skills or current prevented this, we would find something else to do.

We dive in the area as well and all our dives are considered solo dives. We dive the CB, Potomac, Pamunkey and others in the area.

With the trees and big branches submerged in all these rivers and water ways, I feel it is to dangerous to tether another diver to you. "IF" you get swept into a submerged tree, now you not only have yourself entangled but a very close loved one as well.

We tether dive the ocean with crap vis but not rivers.

FFM's are the best answer, but unfortunately that won't help you find your way to each other.

Touch contact is acceptable but doesn't really help you if you're trying to find stuff, only reason to river dive in my opinion

Tethers work if there's nothing floating through the river, i.e. logs etc. Best way to do this is actually to get a 1m-2m dog leash, and clip each clip to the float then around your wrist like you would with a normal dog. Important thing here is to go over your touch signals so you can communicate through the line.

Best way imho and the way I do it, is to each have your own float and have someone as surface support and it's treated as a solo dive.... That way they can watch you and make sure everything's ok.

Back
Top Bottom