IDI Frog Fins vs. Mares Avanti Quattro+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleomagic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for people's experience since I cannot find any articles on this.... I have owned a pair of IDI Frog Fins (the original all rubber ones) for 17+ years. I love them, never had an issue with them (except replace the heel strap). My wonderful husband gave me a brand new set of Mares Avanti Quattro + for Christmas, mainly because it will save us 3lbs in our checked bag weight.

Does anyone have any experience using these 2 fins? If you have a choice, which one would you choose? I have seen a lot of articles that compare new fins to the Quattro +, which tells me they are today's current standard, but is that just because the IDI Frog Fins are no longer available?

Any help/insight would be appreciated - we are heading to Socorro at the end of March, and want to make sure I pack the best fin for the potential currents we might run into.

I have a pair of the Quattros, and prefer them over a jet fin. I mostly spearfish oil rigs, often times with some wicked currents, and they perform well.

Thanks, lemke, that helps.

---------- Post added December 27th, 2014 at 10:06 PM ----------

lemke, did you have to make any adjustment to your weight when going from the jet fin to the quattro? I am assuming I am going to have to add 1-2lbs to accomodate the change in fins....

Since I have not received a response from lemke, does anyone else know what weight adjustment I would need to do if I went from the IDI Frog fins to the Mares Avanti Quattro+?

You should be less feet heavy with the Mares Avanti Quattro+.
2lbs would be a max add-on for the fin change. You should be able to compensate with your breathing and have to do no weight change (perhaps just a shift in weight trim), but your preference may find that annoying.

You will have to do a weight shift or change your neutral body position with the fin change.
Your trim is going to be different with the fin swap. It's a learning curve when you switch fins on opposite sides of the scale. Not to hard, just like driving a sedan VS SUV. Different perceptions. You'll eventually develop a preset when you dive each fin.

I personally wouldn't change weight, but that has been my experience swapping back and forth between Jet fins and plastic neutral fins.

They should both feel long on you, so finning shouldn't feel any different.
Please do tell us what you find when you dive them a few times.

I missed your question... no weight change for me. I dive single steel tanks, a SS backplate, and no additional weight. Actually, it is easier to maintain horizontal trim with the Quattros.

Wanted to post an update - I just did a trip to Bonaire, and took my Mares Avanti Quatro+ out on their maiden voyage instead of my IDI Frog Fins. I am sad to report, I am hanging up my Frog Fins :-( I have had these fins for 20+ years, and are great! What I found was, the Avanti Quatro+ fins seem to work just as well, but did not feel the drag/resistance on my feet like I normally felt with the Frog Fins. It also saves me 3lbs in luggage weight :)

I will be keeping my Frog Fins as backups since the Quatro+'s do not seem to be made to last as long. I must say, I am pleasantly surprised how well Quatro+ performed. I went into the trip thinking I would come home and the Mares would be sitting in the corner going forward.

I have had my mares avanti quattro for 20 years and +/- 700 dives...........No wear, and they are as stiff as new ones :)

The only thing I ever replaced on my 20 yr old Quattros was the straps, been using spring straps for over 4 yrs now.

I missed your question... no weight change for me. I dive single steel tanks, a SS backplate, and no additional weight. Actually, it is easier to maintain horizontal trim with the Quattros.

spear fishing with scuba?

back to question in hand. quattros are good.

Back
Top Bottom