Sun proofing face underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello all,
my wife has a skin that is susceptible to melasma which is a medical term for dark skin spots. She is very sensitive to sun and needs to protect her face in particular all around the year to avoid having dark spots. It takes a while for them to disappear. Whatever works for regular people on land, does not work so she has to apply extra sunblock and use SPF graded clothing and spf graded hats.
(1) is there anything commercially available that can work for scuba divers to give them ultimate protection against sun. I'm primarily talking about face protection.

I'm thinking of a hood designed to cover most of the face except mask area and lips. I saw some hoods with a viser, does anyone have any experience with these hoods?

(2) I learned about Beaver 43 sun block from SB, we never used it so I'm not familiar with it but she'd be willing to try. Has anyone used it, is it good, bad, same as the rest of them?

Full-face masks (even is they are UV proof) are way too expensive. She dives once in a blue moon (that is a week of diving in 3-4 years).

Any feedback on this issue is welcome. Thank you!

We offer a light weight lycra hood that works great on the boat for sun protection and in the water for sun and sting protection. In the water, she would normally be looking down, so this should be all she needs.

MAKO Camo Lycra Hood
MCLH-2.jpg

well for going to/from dive sites on a boat you can shop around for dive shops that have boats with shade
the biggest problem is while on the surface after the dive, sunblock applied before the dive will wear off and reapplying on wet skin i don't know if it works, but i don't see how the above mentioned hood will protect anything else other then the head, back of the head and ears from sun, face is still fully exposed
i think a neoprene cap has a better chance of being useful on the surface combined with constantly keeping the sun behind her

Any feedback on this issue is welcome.

Can she avoid diving between the hours of 9:00 and 4:00? (The sun is strongest between 10:00 and 2:00, penetrates deeper into the water then—best for natural light U/W photographers, perhaps, but maybe not for someone with a sensitive skin condition.)

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Visors/sunhats are tricky when you're talking about boats and water, I've made this mistake once (and only once)... They'll protect you from the sun above, but not by anything reflected up by the water.

Sunblock is a pain.. I'm convinced that there is no true 'waterproof' sunblock. Applying it before the dive makes for burning eyes during the dive. Applying after is ok as long as you're sure you've dried your hair and face well before applying.

As for a mask that covers most of the face, that would be a balaclava. I've seen some "ice diver" hoods that would do the trick but they might be warm for where you're diving.

I think the answer is a light hood to cover as much as possible and a mask with black skirts. That's as far as you can go practically to protect her in the water. Out of the water maybe something like a burka ??--Im thinking the full face covering headgear used in really hot countries/--I agree that reflected sun can be nasty for burn

I, too, tend to burn on the water. I find a sunscreen stick works the best on my face. I apply it before I leave the house for the dive, and immediately reapply after each dive. I find Coppertone Water Babies does not sting my eyes, but really any of the sticks recommended for children should be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom