Slower breathing rate underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iralub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was editing some underwater videos that I took, where I could hear my breathing, and noticed something that struck me as strange - I seem to be breathing much slower underwater than usually

I counted myself taking somewhere between 5 and 6 breaths a minute (including when finning along), which is about half what I do sitting here typing on the computer. It seems a bit strange that I'd be breathing slower during activity underwater than I do while at rest now.

Is that a normal thing or should I be breathing at my usual rate? I'm definitely not holding my breath, but my inhales and exhales seem to be a lot deeper under water.

Subjectively it seems to me that the regulator delivers gas at mild pressure, so when I inhale, it's like it tries to 'fill me up' a bit, which I put a stop to in order to avoid wasting gas. I suspect you will find the amount of of air you're moving in & out is different while you're shooting videos underwater. I also wonder whether you breathe differently diving when videoing compared to when not.

Sitting here at my computer, I notice after an exhale I often pause awhile before an inhale. When diving, this can lead to CO2 retention via 'skip breathing' and cause severe head aches (tried that; quite painful). I tend to breathe more shallowly on land at rest, too.

If you are comfortable breathing at that rate, I see no reason to try to speed it up.

Richard.

One goal of diving is to acquire a slower breathing rate while underwater.

When you first learned to dive you probably had a higher rate of breathing because you may have been anxious and a little stressed during your beginning dives. Over time you develop a calmer attitude and more comfort in the water, resulting in slower breathing.

By having a slower breathing rate, you will be able to maximize your time underwater by extending the amount of time you can get out of a single tank (or whatever your tank configuration).

As long as you are not holding your breath or skip breathing, you are fine. Your body will let you know if you need to breath faster. Enjoy the extra efficiency.

As LandonL says, once one is calm and comfortable with diving, one's breathing slows down. I can't recall that happening myself. Quite a few say that there isn't really much you can consciously do to improve your rate, and I tend to agree. It is also possible that it is natural to breathe slower when only breathing from the mouth. That's just a thought I've always had though--I THINK I always took bigger/slower breaths on scuba.

I notice the same thing. If you are exhaling effectively then your CO2 can be less of a trigger. Meanwhile your body has more molecules of O2 available than it knows what to do with. Some of it is probably attributable to the blissful mellowing that often takes place as you work your way to narcosis. Don't worry, be happy.

Pete

Normal breathing does normally involve a pause. As long as this is with an open glottis (your airway is relaxed and not closed) and part of your normal patter it is not "skip breathing".

Breathing is a voluntary and involuntary action. If think too much about our breathing it alters it. That is one of the issues in taking a patient's breathing rate in a manner that they don't know you are doing it. That is one of the issues IMHO that cause new divers to have higher consumption rates. They are thinking about their breathing and worrying about NOT skip breathing and no longer breathing naturally according to what their body is requiring.

There are some highly qualified MD's such as TSandM and Dukedive who are better people to ask for general information on such topics. I wonder if this should be in Dive Medicine but I will leave it here for now as it is of significant value to new divers.

Your exertion level when diving should be as close to nill as possible. So of course you'd breath slower. Compare your respiratory rate while diving to while sleeping...

I was editing some underwater videos that I took, where I could hear my breathing, and noticed something that struck me as strange - I seem to be breathing much slower underwater than usually

I counted myself taking somewhere between 5 and 6 breaths a minute (including when finning along), which is about half what I do sitting here typing on the computer. It seems a bit strange that I'd be breathing slower during activity underwater than I do while at rest now.

Is that a normal thing or should I be breathing at my usual rate? I'm definitely not holding my breath, but my inhales and exhales seem to be a lot deeper under water.

This is as it should be. Breathing "thick" pressurized air at depth is more work than sitting at your computer. It is more efficient to breathe more slowly and deeply when diving- compared to just sitting at a desk. Also, breathing slowly and deeply helps to provide feedback to keep yourself calm and feeling in control.

As you get more experienced, your awareness of your breathing rate while diving will become more acute and this can be an EXCELLENT "early warning sign" that you are becoming stressed, excited or over worked and this is a great signal for you to pause for a moment and analyze the situation (and potentially modify your behavior) before a situation becomes truly stressful.

If you find yourself unable to regain a slow, well controlled and comfortable breathing rate, it may be a sign to discontinue the dive before you begin to feel really uncomfortable.

As you become even more experienced you will being to take note of not only your breathing rate, but that of your buddy. It is unlikely that your buddy is experiencing significant problems or is preparing to bolt for the surface etc. if they're still breathing slow and steady.

The object of "saving air" is not one I generally pursue.

This explains the reason that slower and deeper breathing is desirable:

Here is the logic: The increased density of gas, added breathing resistance of a regulator, and the small added dead air space of the second stage all add up to decreasing the efficiency of lung ventilation. Oxygen is not the problem since the PPO2 is elevated anyway. CO2 is.

Shallow breathing does not ventilate the millions of tiny air spaces (Alveoli) deep in the lung as effectively, where CO2 transfers from the blood. That lowers the pressure differential of CO2 across the membrane of the Alveoli so the CO2 transfer rate slows and more stays in your blood stream.

Like Oxygen, your body is sensitive to the partial pressure of CO2 so the added depth is a multiplier. That is the reason you want to keep the CO2 level in your lungs low. Elevated CO2 symptoms are also frequently misdiagnosed as Nitrogen Narcosis. Both can inhibit your ability to make prudent judgments.

The downside of breathing deep and fast is excessive gas usage, providing that the rate is intentional rather than induced by anxiety. Umbilical supplied divers will usually have much higher RMVs than Scuba divers, but they also have larger dead air spaces to ventilate in the hats and have no concern of running out of gas.

Especially as a new diver, it is better to run your cylinders down faster than have elevated CO2. The “ideal” is to be very relaxed so minimal CO2 is generated and breathe just deep and fast enough to keep CO2 levels to a reasonable minimum. Blow off the gas when in doubt.

One of the reason that respiration under water is different from above the water is that above water expiration is "passive" while inspiration is more "active". With a good second stage, it is the otherway around underwater. So concentrate on full expiration rather than inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom