Help me choose some new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Militant83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to purchase some new equipment to outfit my new Guardian FFM. I'm a big fan of Apeks and Aqua Lung products. Below are the items i'm considering. They will mainly be used for cold quarry and ice diving. Any thoughts and advice on the items would be appreciated.

Apeks Military DST or FSR first stage

Aqua Lung Titan LX Oct or Apeks XTX40

If there are any other items that I should be thinking of using with my reg and mask set up feel free to make suggestions.

you can't purchase Apeks military unless you are a public safety diver, so there's that.

Apeks FSR only comes with the XTX200, DST with the XTX50 unless you buy separate.

Since it is just for your octo, save a few bucks and get the ATX40, same guts as the XTX, just a different housing, you won't need the reversing feature for it, and the wide exhaust t's are not needed for an octo anyway.

ATX40 Regulator - Dive Right in Scuba

You are a bit in a bind for regulator configurations, but I would use one of the following configurations, but use the FFM on the octo hose and run the XTX40 on the longer hose for donation.
[video=youtube;2OrTXi-hjv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OrTXi-hjv4[/video]

Well, both my daughter and I use an Aqualung Legend. Works great. Nice and smooth and never fails and breaths the same at depth and shallow water. That said, there are a lot of great choices. Good luck!

FWIW, I have an ATX40 hanging off of a DS4, 170+ dives on it over 4 years in temperatures down to 3.5C. Never an issue, great reg.

+1 for apeks..
coldwater diving dst and tx40/50 all year long. Solid stuff :)

I'd take a XTX50 as octopus you can detune it (turn in the knob) to prevent freeflow while not in use and have the comfort of a great easy breathing reg if you turn on Venturi and turn out the knob for breathing it. BTW the only difference between a XTX 50 and a XTX 200 second stage is the decal, they are identical inside.
the DS4 is a great (and cheap) first stage as long as you do not need the turret of the DST for hose routing.

They will mainly be used for cold quarry and ice diving. . . . Apeks Military DST or FSR first stage . . . Aqua Lung Titan LX Oct or Apeks XTX40.
Rather than simply throw out suggestions, or respond to an 'either - or' selection, it might be easier if we understood why you were looking at these particular models (deyond a preference for Apeks / Aqua Lung). Either first stage would be fine for cold water diving. Why did you specify the 'military' DST? I have several DSTs and FSRs, and I use them in fairly cold water, and have never had any performance problems. Apeks first stages are very solid, and a bit heavier than some other brands / models, which is a good thing - it moves weight up toward your head, where most divers need it, particularly if you are diving thick exposure suits in colder water. I usually don't recommend turret regulators for single cylinder, backmount diving because I don't care for the hose routing a turret creates, although I dove one for many years. Of the two first stages I would lean slightly toward the FSR for single cylinder diving, but either one would be a good choice. And, if you ever decided to try a sidemount configuration, the DST would be a great asset.

For an octo choice, either unit would be fully functional. I happen to prefer the XTX50 over the 40, because it offers a User Adjustable Breathing knob, although that is not by any means an essential element. But, much of any poster's recommendation is going to be influenced by personal (subjective) preference, so you may also get testimonials from people who never use a second stage with UAB, and are perfectly happy. :)

Agility, the XTX40 is also the same reg, just without the adjustment knob.

I would also lean toward the XTX50 if you're buying the XTX series, never hurts to have the knob. I dive Poseidons so I don't have them, but I do have a dive/predive switch which does a whole lot of epic things to keep that reg from freeflowing.

I would go Apeks over Aqualung any day of the week, bit better resale value if you change, note not upgrade, just change, at some point down the road, they are built to a slightly higher QAQC standard, and I think they look cooler, plus military background. Nothing wrong with Aqualung, but there's a reason you don't see nearly as many tech divers with Aqualungs as you do Apeks. Most of it is personal preference.

Regarding the first stage, a lot depends on the type of diving you're going to do. I am a huge fan of the turrets for first stage use as long as they have the fifth port and you are putting your secondary on a suicide strap. Many of us have been using our turrets like Lamar shows in the video for many years, but it is only possible now that the fifth port is out. With a FFM it is nice because you never anticipate removing the FFM so your secondary runs down and back up to the suicide strap which allows you to share air off of the long hose, but still keep everything very streamlined.

+1 XTX 200,

Have had it for 2 years now and it works great up here in the cold water of Canada and is very easy to breathe. You won't regret it.

Rather than simply throw out suggestions, or respond to an 'either - or' selection, it might be easier if we understood why you were looking at these particular models (deyond a preference for Apeks / Aqua Lung). Either first stage would be fine for cold water diving. Why did you specify the 'military' DST? I have several DSTs and FSRs, and I use them in fairly cold water, and have never had any performance problems. Apeks first stages are very solid, and a bit heavier than some other brands / models, which is a good thing - it moves weight up toward your head, where most divers need it, particularly if you are diving thick exposure suits in colder water. I usually don't recommend turret regulators for single cylinder, backmount diving because I don't care for the hose routing a turret creates, although I dove one for many years. Of the two first stages I would lean slightly toward the FSR for single cylinder diving, but either one would be a good choice. And, if you ever decided to try a sidemount configuration, the DST would be a great asset.

For an octo choice, either unit would be fully functional. I happen to prefer the XTX50 over the 40, because it offers a User Adjustable Breathing knob, although that is not by any means an essential element. But, much of any poster's recommendation is going to be influenced by personal (subjective) preference, so you may also get testimonials from people who never use a second stage with UAB, and are perfectly happy. :)

Thanks for the info guys, As for why I chose Apeks and Aqua Lung, Its what I started on and all I've used in the short amount of time I've been diving and it fits my price range. The military reference was due to me initially looking at the item on their PSD and Military site. And being a PSD I have the ability to obtain that line. And I have no intentions of side mount diving, however duel tank might be a possibility in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom