What I recently saw in Bonaire was shocking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I spent a week diving all over the island back in December. During that week I saw hundreds of divers who...

1. Were not bouncing off the bottom
  2. Did not drag their regs and gauges across the reef
  3. Stayed with the buddy
  4. Monitored their gas supply
  5. Were able to put their gear together
  6. Generally seemed to be fairly skilled divers

From what I observed I can only conclude that these people must have received pretty effective instruction at some point in time.

Just thought that ScubaBoarders would find it interesting that this sort of thing goes on - in the real world - all the time.

:cool2:

This is going to have a significant impact on Scubaboard.

How can we bash agencies and instructors if divers aren't doing these things anymore?

What are we going to talk about if new divers are coming out of class with everything they need to know in order to dive safely?

I spent a week diving all over the island back in December. During that week I saw hundreds of divers who...

1. Were not bouncing off the bottom
  2. Did not drag their regs and gauges across the reef
  3. Stayed with the buddy
  4. Monitored their gas supply
  5. Were able to put their gear together
  6. Generally seemed to be fairly skilled divers

From what I observed I can only conclude that these people must have received pretty effective instruction at some point in time.

Just thought that ScubaBoarders would find it interesting that this sort of thing goes on - in the real world - all the time.

:cool2:

Oh the humanity!!!
url
(my dive buddies, usually not their octos dragging...)

What are we going to talk about if new divers are coming out of class with everything they need to know in order to dive safely?

Don't worry... several of them were still diving split fins and integrated inflators.

dare i ask.... snorkels? :fear:

Ummm. I see a fair number of divers, including some relatively new divers. I even get in the water with them sometimes. I must say, it is completely dependent on the shop's attitude. If we have one coral destroyer, we have a boat full of them. Typically, though, we don't have any. I'll bet I haven't been upset or had to talk to anyone about their crappy diving skills 5 times in the past 5 years.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 10:11 AM ----------

Don't worry... several of them were still diving split fins and integrated inflators.

And I have a number of Atomic SS1's. If I could rig 2 of them on my doubles tec wing, I would. Just to piss off the haters...

Maybe Bonaire doesn't attract as many inexperienced divers as some other places that are easier to get to, with cheaper flights, etc.? It takes some effort to dive Bonaire--not just to get there, but the whole shore diving thing that to inexperienced divers might seem intimidating. I long viewed Bonaire as a place for advanced divers with good skills and deeper pockets than I had. Of course, once I made my first trip there I realized that perception is totally wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom